+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minor Child Out of Status

Arreyaar

Aug 13, 2024
Hi Folks,

I am in a predicament due to my own doing and need your assistance.

My son is a US citizen and we (me & my wife) are PR holders who moved to Canada in 2021 Oct. There was no stamp on his passport and he was let in because of US citizenship, he was 2 years 6 months old then. I enrolled him into a preschool and later in to junior kindergarten (elementary school in my area). All this while I didn't extend his stay in Canada, so he has been out of status for a long time (close to 2 years). No one reached out or any sort of communication came through for him being out of status, obviously I still own the mess as I had to be on top of it.

We had to step out of the country for personal reasons and its just hitting me now that he has been out of status for a long time, has anybody solved this for their minor kid? if so, how? and does the duration of out of status play a bigger role?

I will be going to an immigration lawyer to help out but wanted to check prior about positive stories here or what sort of an issue can I fall into.

I need my son to have the best future and not be jeopardized for my inactions :-\

Thanks!