+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Meeting PR Obligations

htransf

Oct 21, 2021
We are a married couple, currently living is San Francisco, California. I am a US citizen and my husband is a dual citizen (Canada & US). We have planned to move to Canada (Victoria, BC) for sometimes now and, in preparation, I applied for and was granted permanent residency in May 2022. Up until now we have been living in the US. Our problem is that since the granting of my PR, our family situation has delayed my ability to satisfy the “2 years in the country” requirement for PR renewal. They included:
  • It took longer to wind out our business: we were not able to sell our business until end of June this year.
  • My spouse’s mother, who is 95 years old and living alone, were having health issues including a fractured hip. While she is sharp for a 95-year old person, her cognitive ability is on the decline. My spouse is reluctant to move while his mother is still alive.
I am thinking that I may need to go north and start living in Canada very soon (i.e., NOW), with or without my spouse. But maintaining two residences is expensive, not to mention a lot of moving back and forth between US and Canada.

I read somewhere on this forum that a poster, who has PR and lived outside Canada with her spouse, was able to convince Canada Immigration to allow her to count the days she spent with her spouse toward permanent residency obligations even though they were outside Canada. Has anyone had similar experiences? I would love to hear your input. We most likely will work with an immigration lawyer when the time for PR renewal comes around.

I should add that I did a soft landing on May 19, 2022 to complete the COPR process and have been in Canada about 14 days since that date.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We are a married couple, currently living is San Francisco, California. I am a US citizen and my husband is a dual citizen (Canada & US). We have planned to move to Canada (Victoria, BC) for sometimes now and, in preparation, I applied for and was granted permanent residency in May 2022. Up until now we have been living in the US. Our problem is that since the granting of my PR, our family situation has delayed my ability to satisfy the “2 years in the country” requirement for PR renewal. They included:
  • It took longer to wind out our business: we were not able to sell our business until end of June this year.
  • My spouse’s mother, who is 95 years old and living alone, were having health issues including a fractured hip. While she is sharp for a 95-year old person, her cognitive ability is on the decline. My spouse is reluctant to move while his mother is still alive.
I am thinking that I may need to go north and start living in Canada very soon (i.e., NOW), with or without my spouse. But maintaining two residences is expensive, not to mention a lot of moving back and forth between US and Canada.

I read somewhere on this forum that a poster, who has PR and lived outside Canada with her spouse, was able to convince Canada Immigration to allow her to count the days she spent with her spouse toward permanent residency obligations even though they were outside Canada. Has anyone had similar experiences? I would love to hear your input. We most likely will work with an immigration lawyer when the time for PR renewal comes around.

I should add that I did a soft landing on May 19, 2022 to complete the COPR process and have been in Canada about 14 days since that date.
That is typically for PRs that were previously established in Canada and the PR spouse accompanied them abroad typically for work.

htransf

Oct 21, 2021
Our case is a little different from the typical cases, I believe. We (both of us) have never been previously established in Canada and then moved to the US. We have always lived in the US and now plan to move to Canada when we retire. The retirement took longer than expected. MIL's health is now a major factor on my spouse's relocation timeline. If I can get credit for the days outside Canada (i.e., in the US) while being with my spouse, it will make the "2 years in the country" requirement for PR renewal a lot easier to satisfy. Otherwise, we'll be looking at two residences and a bit of going back and forth between Canada and the US.

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
Our case is a little different from the typical cases, I believe. We (both of us) have never been previously established in Canada and then moved to the US. We have always lived in the US and now plan to move to Canada when we retire. The retirement took longer than expected. MIL's health is now a major factor on my spouse's relocation timeline. If I can get credit for the days outside Canada (i.e., in the US) while being with my spouse, it will make the "2 years in the country" requirement for PR renewal a lot easier to satisfy. Otherwise, we'll be looking at two residences and a bit of going back and forth between Canada and the US.
The problem is you won't know until you try to renew your PR card.

https://www.myconsultant.ca/EN/Residency-Obligation#:~:text=R61(4) provides that each,common-law partner or parent.
^This article outlines one of the main issues (and in general shows how difficult it can be to rely on this exemption), which is around whether or not it matters who follows whom. This is less relevant in your case, but obviously the word "follows" can be taken to mean that the assumption is that you live in Canada, and then the situation changes and one person follows the other to live in a different country. This is what @canuck78 is getting at when referring to the typical case.

I'm not terribly familiar with your situation where you never lived in Canada, but perhaps @dpenabill can shed some light. That said, maintaining two residences seems a bit extreme, especially considering your spouse could sponsor you again, even if you were to lose your PR because of this. It's likely going to be cheaper paying for a lawyer to appeal, and potentially to apply again.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What's the problem with going back and forth between Canada and the US? Before we got EV, we used to fill up gas in nearby Washington state on a regularly basis and return to our BC residence. I heard some people go down there from BC to seek medical care.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
We are a married couple, currently living is San Francisco, California. I am a US citizen and my husband is a dual citizen (Canada & US). We have planned to move to Canada (Victoria, BC) for sometimes now and, in preparation, I applied for and was granted permanent residency in May 2022. Up until now we have been living in the US . . .

I read somewhere on this forum that a poster, who has PR and lived outside Canada with her spouse, was able to convince Canada Immigration to allow her to count the days she spent with her spouse toward permanent residency obligations even though they were outside Canada. . . . We most likely will work with an immigration lawyer when the time for PR renewal comes around.
Most PRs do NOT need the assistance of a Canadian immigration lawyer, even those relying on the credit toward the Residency Obligation for days outside Canada allowed PRs accompanying their Canadian citizen spouse.

PR status does not require "renewal;" there is NO PR renewal.

Replacement of expiring or expired status cards, the PR card, is often referred to as "renewal," but that is more like renewing a passport (one continues to have the status of citizenship even if their passport is expired, or even if they have no passport; likewise PR status), not like renewing a drivers' license (which terminates when it expires unless it is renewed).

To understand the PR Residency Obligation better see the IRCC website for general information here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/understand-pr-status.html
and here: https://www.ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1466&top=10

and particular instructions regarding the Residency Obligation included as an appendix in the guide for making a PR card application (to renew or replace expiring or expired PR card) here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html#appendixA

In the latter, see "Appendix A: Residency obligation" under subheading "Time spent outside Canada" and the specific instructions for "Situation B. Accompanying a Canadian citizen outside Canada."

There is plenty of useful information in a forum like this. But far better to be familiar with the basic information and rules as published by IRCC in the website and Appendix A linked above. If after reviewing IRCC's information you still have questions, come here.

By the way, unlike most PRs who need a valid PR card to board a plane flying to Canada, those who are a U.S. citizen can use their U.S. passports for commercial travel to Canada. So as a U.S. citizen there is no need to have a PR card unless and until you are actually moving to Canada and need to present a PR card to obtain provincial health care coverage or a drivers' license (assuming you have obtained a Canadian SIN).

While you do not need to renew the PR card, you do need to comply with the PR Residency Obligation. And yes, a Canadian PR who is accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse outside Canada is allowed RO credit for days outside Canada the PR is accompanying their citizen spouse.

For a PR in a marital relationship with a Canadian citizen, if they are living/settled in Canada and then move to another country, the PR gets credit toward meeting the RO for days they are ordinarily residing together outside Canada. Does not matter why they moved abroad. No problem.

Otherwise, in some situations what constitutes "accompanying," and therefore qualifying for the credit, can get tricky.

There is a topic here specifically about this titled "Who-accompanied-whom can matter for PRs living with citizen spouse abroad: UPDATE" which is here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/who-accompanied-whom-can-matter-for-prs-living-with-citizen-spouse-abroad-update.579860/

I do not share the view about concerns you are at risk for being denied this credit. There is some risk, yes, and how you approach things can have an impact on how it goes. But as long as you do not make any PR Travel Document applications (which you should not need to do) and if you are accompanying, or accompanied by, your Canadian citizen spouse when you travel to Canada, the risk should be quite low.

And you have a safety valve: as @Besram noted, if push came to shove and for some reason you became one of those fairly few examples in which the accompanying-citizen-spouse credit is not allowed, your spouse can again sponsor you for PR anew.

Your underlying reasons may not be typical, but it is actually quite common for Canadian citizens in a marital relationship with a Foreign National (FN) outside Canada to make representations in a sponsorship application that they and their partner will relocate to live IN Canada when the sponsored FN spouse is granted PR status in Canada, and then not follow through with what they represented they would do (whether the plan was a misrepresentation or there was a change in circumstances compelling a change in plans, such as unanticipated difficulties and delays in settling affairs before making the move, or something in-between those, such as an intervening better job offer, before the move, inviting the couple to change their plans and remain outside Canada).

That is, the situation (sponsored PR living abroad with Canadian citizen spouse without following through with moving to and permanently settling in Canada) is fairly common whether typical or not.

@canuck78 referenced and @Besram further addressed one of the snags a PR in this situation can encounter later depending on how long it is before a move is made to Canada. Since the PR was never settled in Canada, the PR never actually "accompanied" their spouse in going outside Canada. PRs just living together, without at least having accompanied one another in moving abroad, have sometimes been denied RO credit.

We have very little idea what percentage of PRs in similar situations run into this issue later, but we do know they can and sometimes do. We know this because of a significant number of cases in which RO credit has been denied in such situations, and a significantly larger number of cases in which the Minister of IRCC has argued to the IAD that RO credit should not be allowed in similar situations (but the IAD either allowed the credit or allowed the PR to keep PR status based on H&C reasons).

Technically it should make no difference that the PR is a U.S. citizen rather than the citizen of some other country. However, in addition to how uncommon the so-called who-accompanied-whom cases are (which are essentially about situations in which the PR and citizen did not accompanying one another, that is they did not travel from Canada together), they are almost exclusively cases involving an application for a PR Travel Document.**

Under current law and rules a PR who is a U.S. citizen should have no problem traveling to Canada without applying for a PR TD.

I cannot guarantee that inadmissibility proceedings will not be initiated attendant a Port-of-Entry examination if you have been outside Canada more than three years within the previous five years (or up to May 2027, since you became a PR), but the risk of that should be low and very low if you are traveling together with your Canadian citizen spouse.

There is some risk an application for a new PR card might trigger preparation of a 44(1) Report of inadmissibility (accompanying-citizen credit not allowed) if you have been outside Canada for more than three years in the previous five, but if you wait to make that application a significant amount of time after you AND your Canadian citizen spouse have established an in-fact residence in Canada, the risk of that should be low to very low.

And again, as @Besram noted, if push came to shove and for some reason you became one of those fairly few examples in which accompanying-citizen credit is not allowed, your spouse can again sponsor you for PR anew.

** Among rare apparent exceptions to so-called who-accompanied-whom cases arising in regards to PR TD applications, there is the Parikh case, cited by the source @Besram links, in which the IAD and Federal Court found the PR's claims about even living together lacking credibility, in a case rife with credibility issues and probably triggered by a flag arising from an application for citizenship itself rife with credibility if not outright misrepresentation issues, notwithstanding the fact there was 44(1) Report prepared attendant a PoE examination well after being RQ'd in regards to the citizenship application.)​

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I think others have contributed most of the facts about policy so I'm kind of ringing in with a couple comments and opinion, with one important question.

-Do you have a PR card? If you have a PR card, likely with expiry dated sometime in mid-2027, you'll have some more flexibility. Did you get a SIN number? (Perhaps not critical but you should get one while pr card valid).

-PR card will mostly make it easy for you to get BC driver's license and health card. If you don't have one, and you don't get the DL and health card, it will become an issue to get a (replacement/new) PR card after, roughly, mid-2025.

-Apart from that wrinkle (and do not lose your PR card), overall I don't think you should worry too much about moving immediately, or even in the near term. Don't stress about it too much / don't crush your budget with two residences. @dpenabill's post explained in quite a bit of detail why it shouldn't be a big concern.

-But to reiterate a bit those points: enforcement of the PR residency obligation is not strict, especially for those returning with a spouse. The primary mechanism of that enforcement is requiring a PR card (or PRTD) to board a flight.* That essentially doesn't apply to you.

-A separate consequence of not being in compliance with the RO is not being able to renew the PR card and (in many cases) having issues with obtaining health cards and driver's licenses without one. (Working can be an issue for those that didn't get a SIN earlier, although that's usually more or less resolvable.)

-So, roughly, if you return to Canada to settle before your card expires (2027), and get your driver's license and health card before it expires, you should more or less be okay. You may face some issues time to time at the border (questions about RO compliance), but probably they'll let it pass (esp with explanation about sick mother), and if they don't - you can be sponsored again. Some tedium, some hassles, but (hopefully) nothing too critical.

-That doesn't mean it's ideal. But given the reasons, I'd put the stress of it off and deal with the sick mother/use the time to prepare your move more methodically.

-So my conclusion: if it starts looking like you can't get moving up there by 2027 - well, deal with it then (or late 2026 perhaps).

-One small caveat: with a change in government, immigration rules and enforcement might change somewhat - given the current environment, with a more strict bent. That said, chances are extremely low (in my opinion) that any kind of stricter approach to immigration is going to explicitly target PR/citizen couples/retirees from the USA; but collateral impacts/unintended consequences might occur, and some of the specifics might introduce additional friction. The option of being sponsored anew will still be there though. No sense planning on that basis (IMO).

*Not, strictly speaking, an enforcement mechanism. But effectively serves as one - a weaker one for those who can travel via USA/land border (PRTD approval can be much more strict), and a very weak one indeed for US passport holders (who don't need either to board a flight to Canada).