+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical gap in continuous work experience

vince23

Sep 22, 2017
AOR Received.
13-12-2018
Hi guys, I have received my ITA. Just realized work experience has to be "continuous" for FSW.
I would like to know if a gap of 2-3 months (had to travel abroad due to medical reasons) in between my 16 months of continuous work experience be a hindrance to my FSW application?

Worked at Company A: JUL 2012 to NOV 2013
Had to travel abroad from: OCT 2012 to JAN 2013 (2 months 20 days)

Appreciate any help.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Raz0r

Jul 9, 2017
As far as I know you should have a minimum of 1 year continuous Work Experience to be eligible for the EE Program. I believe your case is Misrepresentation. But I might be wrong. Do wait for the seniors to give their take on the same. Good luck.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys, I have received my ITA. Just realized work experience has to be "continuous" for FSW.
I would like to know if a gap of 2-3 months (had to travel abroad due to medical reasons) in between my 16 months of continuous work experience be a hindrance to my FSW application?

Appreciate any help.
Thanks!
So instead of creating two entries for your work experience you are counting those 2 months and 20 days as work periods?

vince23

Sep 22, 2017
AOR Received.
13-12-2018
So instead of creating two entries for your work experience you are counting those 2 months and 20 days as work periods?
I had to take a leave of absence from my company for the duration, returned back to the same company. Total work experience would be 13-14 months, technically.
Slipped my mind, until I started filling my Travel history in e-APR i.e.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I had to take a leave of absence from my company for the duration, returned back to the same company. Total work experience would be 13-14 months, technically.
Slipped my mind, until I started filling my Travel history in e-APR i.e.
There is still a considerable break in continuity that would make you ineligible under the FSW program.

Unless this leave was paid - only then you might be able to claim it as continuous work experience. No guarantees though.

Reactions: Uvr

trivvoxx

Star Member
Feb 25, 2017

Appreciate any help.
Thanks!
just make sure you are transparent in everything and explain what you think you need to clarify in your Letter of Explanation.
for a medical leave while unemployed, make sure to include it in your personal history. hope all is well :)

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018

Appreciate any help.
Thanks!
A leave of absence doesn't TECHNICALLY have to be considered a break in employment...people can take extended periods of leave and still be considered employed (in fact, people do it all the time, under the premise of taking vacation leave or sick leave). The nature of the leave of absence might dictate whether it's considered a break in employment or not. Did you continue to earn pay during this leave of absence? @legalfalcon, can you shed some light on how this might be treated by IRCC?

As trivvoxx said, just ensure you are as transparent as possible and fully explain everything in your Letter of Explanation.

Another thing to consider though: is this the only employment you're claiming? Do you have any other valid work experiences otherwise that you could afford to leave this one out, without affecting your CRS to the effect that you wouldn't have received an ITA if you hadn't included it in your work history before you got the ITA?

vince23

Sep 22, 2017
AOR Received.
13-12-2018
My current employment reaches one year only next Feb-March; not included in my profile.
What do you think my best course of action is?
Should I continue with the current application, mentioning it in the LOE and hope for the best? (I'm concerned about misrepresentation)
OR
Should I decline my ITA and create a new profile once I satisfy the one year continuous experience requirement?

vince23

Sep 22, 2017
AOR Received.
13-12-2018
Also should I keep declining ITAs in subsequent draws (provided I'm eligible) until I qualify in regard to work experience again or should I delete my profile all together?

Raz0r

Jul 9, 2017
Also should I keep declining ITAs in subsequent draws (provided I'm eligible) until I qualify in regard to work experience again or should I delete my profile all together?
Did you get paid for the medical gap of 2 months and 20 days and do you have the pay-stubs for the same??? Or were you unpaid during that period??

Raz0r

Jul 9, 2017
Unpaid. :(
What do you think my best course of action is?
Oh ok. Actually vince, for EE, the minimum eligibility is to have 1-year of continuous work experience. So my suggestion would be to decline the current ITA, wait for your employment to be of 1-year continuous cycle and then accept the forthcoming ITA. But yes, this is just my suggestion, you can wait for other seniors to pitch in. Good luck

vince23

Sep 22, 2017
AOR Received.
13-12-2018
@Raz0r Yeah, I guess that looks like the best option at this moment. So, (as previously stated) should I keep declining ITAs in subsequent draws (provided I'm eligible) until I qualify in regard to work experience again or should I delete my profile all together?

Also, tons of help, all you guys. Highly appreciated!