+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

May I travel after my graduation and return Canada? *urgent*

Adonis19

Mar 5, 2022
Hi everyone,

I'll be finishing my final exams April 20th and I'll travel my home country in May 1st and return June 5th. However, my student visa (S-1) in passport will be expiring in June 12th. If I return June 5th, can I have any problem in the border to pass inside of Canada? Could you please share your experience with me? I am really worried about that because my friends says don't go, if I go, I will have problem in the border and they do not let me enter in Canada. Also, should I apply PGWP before arrive to Canada or should I apply PGWP after I return to Canada?

Reactions: yafaa1993

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

I'll be finishing my final exams April 20th and I'll travel my home country in May 1st and return June 5th. However, my student visa (S-1) in passport will be expiring in June 12th. If I return June 5th, can I have any problem in the border to pass inside of Canada? Could you please share your experience with me? I am really worried about that because my friends says don't go, if I go, I will have problem in the border and they do not let me enter in Canada. Also, should I apply PGWP before arrive to Canada or should I apply PGWP after I return to Canada?
You should apply for PGWP as soon as possible. Would apply before you leave if possible.

Adonis19

Mar 5, 2022
You should apply for PGWP as soon as possible. Would apply before you leave if possible.
Thanks for answering, unfortunately I'll not be able to apply to PGWP before leaving because my college send the letter at least in a month. I'll be in outside of Canada during that time. However, I'll apply online during my vacation.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for answering, unfortunately I'll not be able to apply to PGWP before leaving because my college send the letter at least in a month. I'll be in outside of Canada during that time. However, I'll apply online during my vacation.
would apply as soon as possible but otherwise your plan works. You have a tight timeline to return so make sure you are monitoring the news in case there is another variant impacting the world or other world event. You need to be prepared to perhaps come back to Canada a bit earlier if there could be travel disruptions.

Reactions: Adonis19

salouwm

Feb 28, 2022
If you applied for your PGWP before your study permit expires, you will have an implied status where you can stay in Canada UNTIL the decision comes out. HOWEVER, the implied status is no longer valid once you leave the country. I once did that years ago and was allowed to enter, but it’s very risky.

Reactions: Adonis19

Adonis19

Mar 5, 2022
If you applied for your PGWP before your study permit expires, you will have an implied status where you can stay in Canada UNTIL the decision comes out. HOWEVER, the implied status is no longer valid once you leave the country. I once did that years ago and was allowed to enter, but it’s very risky.
Thanks for answering! Actually, I am thinking of apply PGWP when I come back to Canada. Might be better?

yafaa1993

Star Member
Jul 2, 2021
Hi everyone,

As far as I know, yes you will have a problem becuase you have graduated and there’s no valid reason for the officer to allow you to enter Canada.I don’t know why you want to travel but my advice to you, is to get your pgwp and travel. I have left Canada, applied for PGWP outland, and my application was submitted 7 months ago and I haven’t heard back from IRCCC yet. You never know how long it will take for your application to be processed if you applied outside Canada. The processing time on the gov web site is estimated and applications could take way longer.

Adonis19

Mar 5, 2022
As far as I know, yes you will have a problem becuase you have graduated and there’s no valid reason for the officer to allow you to enter Canada.I don’t know why you want to travel but my advice to you, is to get your pgwp and travel. I have left Canada, applied for PGWP outland, and my application was submitted 7 months ago and I haven’t heard back from IRCCC yet. You never know how long it will take for your application to be processed if you applied outside Canada. The processing time on the gov web site is estimated and applications could take way longer.
thanks for answering! Actually, there is an uncertainity about this situation as I understood and listened other students' experience. Because some of students who goes outside after their graduation, they came back without any issue. In my case, my visa will be expiring soon thus, might be draw attention of officer. I am planning to adjust my ticket return May 26. Therefore, there is going to be around 20 days to expire of my visa in passport. Moreover, I found an information in goverment website which says you can able to enter Canada as long as your visa still valid. Technically, my visa will be valid. the link is below. Of course, still there is risk but I believe that if I explain my situation very well, it will not be a huge deal.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1309

Reactions: yafaa1993

raistlinn

Aug 11, 2019
thanks for answering! Actually, there is an uncertainity about this situation as I understood and listened other students' experience. Because some of students who goes outside after their graduation, they came back without any issue. In my case, my visa will be expiring soon thus, might be draw attention of officer. I am planning to adjust my ticket return May 26. Therefore, there is going to be around 20 days to expire of my visa in passport. Moreover, I found an information in goverment website which says you can able to enter Canada as long as your visa still valid. Technically, my visa will be valid. the link is below. Of course, still there is risk but I believe that if I explain my situation very well, it will not be a huge deal.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1309
Hi, I'm planning to do the same. Did you have any problem when you traveled back?

Adonis19

Mar 5, 2022
Hi, I'm planning to do the same. Did you have any problem when you traveled back?
Hi, I've cancelled my flight and did not go to my country for holiday because I didn't want to take any risk. Also, I've got a good job offer during that time... I hope, I will go and back in next summer without zero question mark and risk...