+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

May I apply for a Bridging Work Permit? - Pertner open work permit and applying for PR

hopeng

May 5, 2020
I have an open work permit. I get this open work permit through my common law partner who works in Canada but he is not a Canadian PR. We came from US to Canada together.

However, my common law partner wants to return to US in the near future but I still want to stay in Canada. When he leaves Canada, my work permit will become invalid as it ties to his work permit. I am applying for a Canadian PR and really want to secure a bridging work permit. I am confident my profile will meet the PR min score, but I am not sure if my open work permit meets the bridging permit qualification.

The gov website says you will be qualified if you ‘have a valid work permit that expires in 4 months or less’. My questions are
(1) does my open work permit that ties to my partner’s work permit a ‘valid work permit’?
(2) If my partner plans to leave Canada in 4 months, even though the work permit paper has another year of expiration, may I apply for a Bridging if I meet all other criteria?

Thanks a bunch!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have an open work permit. I get this open work permit through my common law partner who works in Canada but he is not a Canadian PR. We came from US to Canada together.

However, my common law partner wants to return to US in the near future but I still want to stay in Canada. When he leaves Canada, my work permit will become invalid as it ties to his work permit. I am applying for a Canadian PR and really want to secure a bridging work permit. I am confident my profile will meet the PR min score, but I am not sure if my open work permit meets the bridging permit qualification.

The gov website says you will be qualified if you ‘have a valid work permit that expires in 4 months or less’. My questions are
(1) does my open work permit that ties to my partner’s work permit a ‘valid work permit’?
(2) If my partner plans to leave Canada in 4 months, even though the work permit paper has another year of expiration, may I apply for a Bridging if I meet all other criteria?

Thanks a bunch!
1) Your open work permit continues to be valid even if your partner stops working here and leaves.
2) As long as your open work permit is valid, and you've received ITA and submitted your complete application or you've received a nomination through a province, you can apply for a BOWP.

hopeng

May 5, 2020
1) Your open work permit continues to be valid even if your partner stops working here and leaves.
2) As long as your open work permit is valid, and you've received ITA and submitted your complete application or you've received a nomination through a province, you can apply for a BOWP.
Thank you Scylla for your kind and helpful comments! Do you know if there is a government website/ official document that I could use to check the relevant information? I can't find many useful resources regarding partner open permit, please let me know if you know any, or is it based on experience?
Thanks a lot!!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you Scylla for your kind and helpful comments! Do you know if there is a government website/ official document that I could use to check the relevant information? I can't find many useful resources regarding partner open permit, please let me know if you know any, or is it based on experience?
Thanks a lot!!!
I don't know for the first item. However I'm sure there's something on the IRCC web site. That's where you should be looking.

For the second item, there's a great deal of information on the IRCC web site.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-permit-result.asp?q1_options=1i&q2_options=2c&q3_options=2c_ii

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html