+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maternity Leave for Caregiver with TRV

solanah

Oct 2, 2007
I would like to ask I have a friend who is currently Live-in Caregiver, she took her vacation in our country and she's not aware that she's pregnant upon arrival here.She still holding TRV. What will happen to her,is she allowed for maternity leave benefits or not? What if she still processing her immigrant papers,does it affect her status here in Ottawa?Is it ok after giving birth to leave the baby in the Philippines?please help..Thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think that as any worker, she would be entitled to EI maternity benefits. She could get 55% of her wages for up to a year if she is not working. There are however other questions I can't answer like where would she live. If she is not capable of doing her job as a live-in caregiver, I think she would have to find other accommodation. 55% of a live-in caregiver salary is not very much to live on when you are renting.

I am also not sure if she could get EI maternity benefits while staying in the Philippines. Also what happens if her work permit expires while she is on maternity leave. She should go to Service Canada and ask these questions. The live in caregiver right to apply for PR is based on working for 24 months and there would be a question if mat. leave is a part of that or not so it may delay the time she can apply. I don't think it would be a problem to leave the baby back in the Philippines.