+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Master’s degree for PR application

Tam Le

Jan 24, 2019
Hey everyone,

I am currently applying for Canadian PR, my case is a bit different from other people’s cases because of my Master’s Degree. I would like to ask for some advices for my case.

In May 2017, I came Canada to study when I was in the middle of my Master’s degree(course 2015-2017) in my country. So, I couldn’t complete my degree and I thought I quit that degree.
I hired an agent to submit my Application for Study Visa to study Post-graduation diploma in Canada. Then my agent advised me not to add that I had been studying Master’s degree in the history, they just added my work experience for one year.
I came Canada and I called back my university to ask for Advice about my Master’s degree, and my advisor told me I could save for two years and get back to complete 10 credits left over to get Degree. Last year (2019) I flied back to my country to complete and get my Master’s degree and transcript. I applied for WES and I got ECA report as Master’s degree Canadian equivalency. Now I created EE profile and submitted to IRCC and I got an Invitation to apply for PR. I am wondering if IRCC could reject me with this Master’s degree, which my agent didn’t add this activity in my study visa application earlier but now I just added now to apply for PR as I just got it last year.

Can anyone please advised if you have the same case or know someone can advise if any scenarios could happen with my PR application?

Thanks so much, please help...

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Study permit applications are processed separately from PR applications although they could theoretically accuse you of misrepresentation on your previous application.

Tam Le

Jan 24, 2019
Study permit applications are processed separately from PR applications although they could theoretically accuse you of misrepresentation on your previous application.
[/QUOTE
Thanks, can you please advise if there are any suggestions needed?

ayeetee

Jun 11, 2020
Hey everyone,

I am currently applying for Canadian PR, my case is a bit different from other people’s cases because of my Master’s Degree. I would like to ask for some advices for my case.

In May 2017, I came Canada to study when I was in the middle of my Master’s degree(course 2015-2017) in my country. So, I couldn’t complete my degree and I thought I quit that degree.
I hired an agent to submit my Application for Study Visa to study Post-graduation diploma in Canada. Then my agent advised me not to add that I had been studying Master’s degree in the history, they just added my work experience for one year.
I came Canada and I called back my university to ask for Advice about my Master’s degree, and my advisor told me I could save for two years and get back to complete 10 credits left over to get Degree. Last year (2019) I flied back to my country to complete and get my Master’s degree and transcript. I applied for WES and I got ECA report as Master’s degree Canadian equivalency. Now I created EE profile and submitted to IRCC and I got an Invitation to apply for PR. I am wondering if IRCC could reject me with this Master’s degree, which my agent didn’t add this activity in my study visa application earlier but now I just added now to apply for PR as I just got it last year.

Can anyone please advised if you have the same case or know someone can advise if any scenarios could happen with my PR application?

Thanks so much, please help...
In your application for study permit, did they specifically asked if studying for a degree? Or did they ask for previously held degrees?

Since you didn’t complete your master’s degree back then, that means you didn’t have a master’s degree.

Tam Le

Jan 24, 2019
In your application for study permit, did they specifically asked if studying for a degree? Or did they ask for previously held degrees?

Since you didn’t complete your master’s degree back then, that means you didn’t have a master’s degree.
Hi ayeetee,
I wouldn’t know since I wasn’t a person who applied my study visa before I came Canada. That was my agent - they asked my bachelor’s degree only and experience. I wouldn’t be sure about what information did they put for me 3 years ago. Are there anyway that I can check it out?

ayeetee

Jun 11, 2020
Hi ayeetee,
I wouldn’t know since I wasn’t a person who applied my study visa before I came Canada. That was my agent - they asked my bachelor’s degree only and experience. I wouldn’t be sure about what information did they put for me 3 years ago. Are there anyway that I can check it out?
I don’t think you need to worry. 3 years ago you only had a bachelor’s degree. Had you not gone back home to complete that master’s degree you still would be with only a bachelor’s degree. So gather all your documents and submit as soon as you can.

Tam Le

Jan 24, 2019
I don’t think you need to worry. 3 years ago you only had a bachelor’s degree. Had you not gone back home to complete that master’s degree you still would be with only a bachelor’s degree. So gather all your documents and submit as soon as you can.
Hi ayeetee, in the form IMM1294 to apply for study permit, has field education “I answered “Yes” you have to provide the full details about them HIGHEST level of the post secondary education” And they give one place to put the highest level of education only. I think that was the reason why my agent didn’t ask me...

ayeetee

Jun 11, 2020
Hi ayeetee, in the form IMM1294 to apply for study permit, has field education “I answered “Yes” you have to provide the full details about them HIGHEST level of the post secondary education” And they give one place to put the highest level of education only. I think that was the reason why my agent didn’t ask me...
Yes, highest and COMPLETED. Good luck with your application

Kent.Kiosaki

Jul 11, 2020
Hi ayeetee,
Hi Tam,
Try to log in to your IRCC account and go to View your submitted document and try the follwing

Replace documentsToSubmit.do with applicationChecklist.do and hit enter.

Or, simply copy and paste this below link in your url after logging in to your MyCIC account and press enter:
https://onlineservices-servicesenligne.cic.gc.ca/eapp/applicationChecklist.do

For your case, I would suggest to include a Letter of explanation in your PR application to let IRCC know what you did during 2015 - 2017, and how you got your Master degree in Vietnam (2015 - 2017, and return in 2019 to complete it)

Tam Le

Jan 24, 2019
Hi Tam,
Try to log in to your IRCC account and go to View your submitted document and try the follwing

Or, simply copy and paste this below link in your url after logging in to your MyCIC account and press enter:

For your case, I would suggest to include a Letter of explanation in your PR application to let IRCC know what you did during 2015 - 2017, and how you got your Master degree in Vietnam (2015 - 2017, and return in 2019 to complete it)
Hi Kent.
I didn’t submit anything yet, I still have 80 days left to submit all documentation, my concern is whether if IRCC may reject my application as misrepresentation- since when I applied for study visa 3 years ago, I didn’t add master’s degree as it asked the highest level but that time I didn’t complete my master, so my highest level of education must be Bachelor’s degree. I don’t know if it will be really risky adding Master’s degree in 2019. Another my question is should I decline my application and re-created the EE profile with Bachelor’s degree only? My ECA report from WES already shows my Canadian Equivalency is Master’s Degree.
Can you please elaborate some suggestions for my case?

Kent.Kiosaki

Jul 11, 2020
Hi Tam,

This is to check how your agent put in your application of study permit 3 years ago.

Kent.Kiosaki

Jul 11, 2020
Hi Kent.
I didn’t submit anything yet, I still have 80 days left to submit all documentation, my concern is whether if IRCC may reject my application as misrepresentation- since when I applied for study visa 3 years ago, I didn’t add master’s degree as it asked the highest level but that time I didn’t complete my master, so my highest level of education must be Bachelor’s degree. I don’t know if it will be really risky adding Master’s degree in 2019. Another my question is should I decline my application and re-created the EE profile with Bachelor’s degree only? My ECA report from WES already shows my Canadian Equivalency is Master’s Degree.
Can you please elaborate some suggestions for my case?
Like Ayeetee said above (and you said it yourself) that 3 years ago, you did not complete your Master Degree, then your higher education level is Bachelor only. So it is not a misrepresentation in your education.

I don't see any risk in adding Master's degree in 2019, especially it has been verified by WES

Please prepare your PR application for this invitation by strictly follow guidelines on IRCC website. You will find out how you should let IRCC know about your Master degree 2019.

Good luck

waverlypl

Jul 30, 2020
If you claim points with your Master degree, you should give them an LOE and be truthful about it. If your point is still competitive on the pool without the Master degree, I would suggest you recreate the EE profile without declaring the Master degree to avoid further risks from misrepresentation information.

Tam Le

Jan 24, 2019
If you claim points with your Master degree, you should give them an LOE and be truthful about it. If your point is still competitive on the pool without the Master degree, I would suggest you recreate the EE profile without declaring the Master degree to avoid further risks from misrepresentation information.
My total points after minus points from Master’s degree will not be competitive - not equal to the minimum points when i was invited.