+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marrying Canadian Boyfriend

jade

Star Member
Apr 6, 2009
Hi! I'm Jade, a live in caregiver for almost a year now. My boyfriend and I are planning to get married on November this year. Would my getting married to him jeopardize or make my application for permanent residency easier? Would I still be required to complete the 2 year caregiving program after getting married with him? Somebody please explain because I've no idea and been receiving all conflicting ideas about this to people I ask. Thank you so much....

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you want to continue working as a live in caregiver for another year and apply for PR through that program, getting married to a Canadian will not really matter. If you want to quit working as a live in caregiver and have him sponsor you for PR instead, you have that option as well.

jade

Star Member
Apr 6, 2009
Thanks for the advice.......We love each other so much that we decided to get married. I just wanna ask how long would it take us to process for my PR after we get married? And what would be the additional requirements aside from our marriage. Please advice me so. We're both single and haven't been married so I'm seeking for some legal advices about this thing. It would be new to both of us.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
After you get married, he would have to file to sponsor you for permanent residency. You can read about it here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp

If you pick the forms for "my spouse is living with me in Canada", it is called an inland application and you would send it to Vegreville along with a request for an open work permit. If everything goes well and they are convinced your relationship is legitimate and your husband is approved as a sponsor, you can expect to see your open work permit in 5-6 months and PR maybe in 1-2 years. Two downsides with inland, you are not advised to travel while it's in process because it's based on you living in Canada and if it doesn't go well and they want an interview, they will send your file to your local CIC office for processing without the first stage approval and work permit. If that happens, it depends on how busy the local office is how soon you will get this interview. It can in some cases take up to 3 years. In the meantime, you are stuck in Canada waiting with no work permit.

If you pick the forms for "my spouse lives overseas" it's called an outland application and you can still stay in Canada and you can give a mailing address in Canada but write on the sponsorship forms that you request processing in your home country. Since you are legally working in Canada, you can also request processing in Buffalo. If you did this, there is no open work permit but the PR itself is normally faster. The file would be sent to Mississauga, they currently take 44 days to approve sponsor, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#sponsorship and after that the file goes to the country of processing and you can see the timelines to get PR here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/05-fc-spouses.asp The downside to outland is that if an interview is requested, you have to go to the country of processing for it.

jade

Star Member
Apr 6, 2009
He filed for bankruptcy on the year 2006. I heard that he won't be qualified to sponsor me even if I would be his wife if he have an undischarged bankruptcy which if I am not mistaken, takes 5-7 years to get discharged. What other qualifications must he have to sponsor me? I think in every step it gets more difficult and difficult. It seems that it's just easier for me now to just finish my caregiving program. I am pregnant and he wants me to rest as soon as my tummy gets big. But for the options I'm having right now, I dunno what to do. Please enlighten me.... Thank you so much

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If he can not sponsor you, you should finish your live-in caregiver program. You can always call CIC to ask for advice but you can also look for an immigrant or newcomer centre in your area who can help. You can probably get maternity leave from your job but you would have to ask Service Canada about the details of that. If you take maternity leave, that time will probably not count as a part of the 2 years you need to work to apply for PR.