+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Married before Landing,Fail to inform CIC,Landing delayed for more Examination

Dipen82

Mar 5, 2017
I Misunderstood my COPR for a PR. I got married and didn't inform CIC about it.
On arrival, Immigration officer asked if I was married to which I replied "YES".
She asked if I would like to sponsor my wife.. to which I answered "may be after a year or two".
She postponed my landing as I traveled in invalid visa, seized my passport, COPR and Marriage Certificate.
All my details has been emailed to Canadian Embassy, New Delhi for further examination.
She Gave me a paper stating the document seizure and mentioned reason as "seized for further examination"
She said she will call me on hearing back from New Delhi..

I don't have my passport, landing document or Social Insurance Number as of now.

What could be decision of Canadian Emabassy, New Delhi ?
How do I go further in this situations?

Seeking expert advise. Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's difficult to say. You were required to declare your marriage and add your wife to your application before landing, even if she wasn't planning on coming with you to Canada immediately.

It's possible they may allow you to add your wife to your application and then issue a new COPR to you once her paperwork has been processed. It's also possible they may tell you your COPR is now invalid and if you still want to become a PR, you'll need to start the process again from scratch. It may be a good idea to get a consultation with a good immigration lawyer.

You're not going to get a SIN or be able to work until this matter is resolved.

Dipen82

Mar 5, 2017
Thanks Scylla.
Today's update, i met the immigration offer, he gave me 10 days to leave Canada. he didnt want to share much but told me that i cannot be landed because i dont have a valid Visa, i was instructed to go back to fix my problem at the visa issuing office i.e. NewDelhi. im leaving Canada with a heavy heart, hoping that Newdelhi will consider my case and ask to update my spouse's documents or my PR will be revoked and i might have to apply from scratch.
when i asked if there was a way i could process my case from here in Toronto, he was stern and said either you go back voluntarily which is still good as it gives me a benefit of doubt to fix my case in Newdelhi or ill be forcefully deported which means ill be inadmissible to Canada forever.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Dipen82 said:
Thanks Scylla.
Today's update, i met the immigration offer, he gave me 10 days to leave Canada. he didnt want to share much but told me that i cannot be landed because i dont have a valid Visa, i was instructed to go back to fix my problem at the visa issuing office i.e. NewDelhi. im leaving Canada with a heavy heart, hoping that Newdelhi will consider my case and ask to update my spouse's documents or my PR will be revoked and i might have to apply from scratch.
when i asked if there was a way i could process my case from here in Toronto, he was stern and said either you go back voluntarily which is still good as it gives me a benefit of doubt to fix my case in Newdelhi or ill be forcefully deported which means ill be inadmissible to Canada forever.
You are lucky that they didn't ban you for 5 years on the grounds of misrepresentation. You have been given a second chance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dipen82 said:
Thanks Scylla.
It will be up to ND if they allow you to update your application to include your spouse or instruct you that you have to start the application process over again from scratch. The odds are likely higher that the will tell you your application has been canceled and you have to start again from scratch. However there's always some chance the officer may be sympathetic. Good luck.

raju.gaire

Oct 16, 2017
Hi, I am in a similar position. I got married after getting COPR, mistaken COPR as PR. Now Immigration has seized my passport and has called for hearing on october 31st. My visa was issued in canada. I see they instructed Dipen to return back and fix it. His visa was issued in ND. What are the possibilities in my case? In case I am asked to return back, Do I have to start the process from scratch?

Thanks

Last edited: