+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

marriage over the phone?

kid800

Jun 18, 2009
hey guys i have a question.

can canadian citizen do marriage(nikkah) over the phone while in canada?

he have met a women to his trip to pakistan and stayed there for upto 2 months but did not get marry but now both are planning to get marry so the only way to do it right now is over the phone....but... as for proof he wont have anything. beside phone calls by using phone cards. and once he arrives back in pk he will file all the applications for his wife, do you guys think it will be safe or any good for his wife when going to an interview in ISLAMABAD with marriage photos to prove that marriage is bona fide n came under good faith even thou marriage was done over the phone? but husband joined her again after visiting pk. or can her husband file from canada will it take extra time for his wife to gain visa, if filed from canada? will he have any appeal chances?

any idea guys?

nomad_musafir

Jan 13, 2009
well, if you get a marriage certificate from the authority, it should all be good.

you've got to be careful/suspicious if somebody got pregnant over the phone though ;)

rorita_76

Feb 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July-3-2009
Hey there,
do some research over the forum, I have read about cases like yours over the forum.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yeah, I think I've read about that in Pakistan as well where it was recognized as legal for CIC purposes.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, telephone marriage is acceptable to CIC. See p. 37 of the OP 2
Processing Members of the Family Class where Telephone Marriage is defined:

"A marriage in which one of the participants is not physically present and is
not represented by a proxy but participates directly by telephone is a legal
marriage if it is legally recognized according to the law of the place where it
occurred. This is a legal marriage for immigration purposes provided it
meets the Canadian federal requirements, with respect to consanguinity and
polygamy/bigamy."

See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf

However, given that your friend has essentially no proof of a relationship, I personally think they will have problems. You said that they won't have anything for proof other than phone cards. Phone cards are not accepted by CIC (though I have heard that some people have submitted these as proof). The problem is that the phone cards do not show who it is that you were speaking to. Also, marriage photos alone will not "prove" that a marriage is genuine, particularly given that only the wife was present. I personally think that they are better off waiting until they can submit proof of a relationship such as emails, phone records etc. than rushing into this now with insufficient proof.

Rasha

Apr 26, 2008
Kid,

here is another discussion in the site, regarding the same question:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t20395.0.html