+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MARRIAGE/IMMIGRATION between a British woman and Canadian man IN Canada.

MissLola

Jul 28, 2009
I'm a British woman and have been living in Canada with my fiance for a year (I have overstayed in this country for 6 months without applying for a Visa or a PR card). The only ID I can provide is a valid up-to-date British passport and my original birth certificate.

1. Can we get married in Canada and then can my husband sponsor me to stay or do I have to be sponsored first?
2. Will I be penalized for overstaying my visitors status without starting PR/Visa proceedings?
3. Will I have to surrender my British passport or can I have dual citizenship?

I have no criminal record and I have recognized working skills and could provide valid refrences if needed. I can also prove we have had a relationship for nearly 2 years.

It would be truly appreciated if someone could help me as the official CIC site is so confusing.

popo

Jul 27, 2009
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
14-01-2010
have you been living together for over a year?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why did you not apply to extend your visit visa?

1. You can get married and then your husband can sponsor you or you can not get married and he can sponsor you as a common law partner since you are living together for a year.

2. They may deport you for being in Canada illegally.

3. You can be dual but you are pretty far from Canadian citizenship right now. If your sponsorship goes through, you will have permanent residency in Canada. You don't have to apply for citizenship unless you want to but if you want to, you can not do it until you have lived in Canada as a permanent resident for 3 years.