+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

marriage during temporary work permit & PR

adream_24

Dec 8, 2013
If I go to Canada on a temporary work permit, through a working holiday visa, will I be able to marry my Canadian partner and apply for PR during these 6 months? What will I do between the submission of my PR application and the receipt of a (potential) PR? Bridging work permit or open work permit?

I'm trying not to mess up with all this legislation, so how does this would work for me (step by step)?

thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - you can get married and apply for PR.

The working holiday visa cannot be extended. So once your working holiday visa expires, you will have to stop working.

If you apply for PR using the inland method, you will qualify for an open work permit once the application has first stage approval. First stage approval currently takes 11 months to complete after the application is submitted.

If you apply for PR using the outland method, you will be able to work once the processing of your file has been completed, you have been approved for PR and you have landed in Canada. How long this will take will depend on the visa office you apply through.

If you wish to work sooner or if you wish to continue working past the expiry of your working holiday visa (and before the open work permit or PR is granted), then your employer will need to obtain an approved Labour Market Opinion and then you will have to apply for a close work permit once the LMO is approved.

You do not qualify for a Bridging Work Permit. They are not available to those going through the spousal sponsorship stream.