+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage Certificate Issue

rajitha

Dec 24, 2012
Hello everyone,

I'm a PR holder and I recently got married in india. i wanted to sponsor my husband but we recently came to know that church certificate is not valid, he did notarized through "External Affairs" in india. thinking they may accept it and we applied marriage certificate and it takes a month to get certificate from govt.

Meanwhile can i apply with notarized Church marriage certificate and then submit Registered marriage certificate once i receive that to save time?? because for that again i need to travel back to India to collect it (probably after 2months of time) or shall i wait another 2 moths then start the process??

Please advice

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
If the church certificate you received is not valid......will advice you wait until you have the valid marriage certificate and then apply for spousal sponsorship to avoid any issues or application been returned.

Refer......Spousal Sponsorship Guide ......Marriage certificates
  • For spousal sponsorships, make sure you include a valid marriage certificate or proof of registration of your marriage with your application (see checklist details - civil status documents section). The document(s) you submit must show that the marriage was legally registered with the government where it took place.
  • A record of solemnization (obtained in Canada) or marriage license will not be accepted as proof that the sponsor and applicant are married.
  • Check the country specific requirements to see if there are specific instructions for the country where the marriage took place.

Last edited:

rajitha

Dec 24, 2012
If the church certificate you received is not valid......will advice you wait until you have the valid marriage certificate and then apply for spousal sponsorship to avoid any issues or application been returned.

Refer......Spousal Sponsorship Guide ......Marriage certificates
  • For spousal sponsorships, make sure you include a valid marriage certificate or proof of registration of your marriage with your application (see checklist details - civil status documents section). The document(s) you submit must show that the marriage was legally registered with the government where it took place.
  • A record of solemnization (obtained in Canada) or marriage license will not be accepted as proof that the sponsor and applicant are married.
  • Check the country specific requirements to see if there are specific instructions for the country where the marriage took place.
Thank you!!!

Can i apply for visiting visa for my spouse without the UCI number??

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Yes.....you can apply for visitor visa for your wife without UCI number, if your wife is applying to IRCC or Canadian embassy for the first time, she will not yet have a UCI........only persons that have earlier submitted an application to IRCC or Canadian embassy could have UCI.

What is a UCI?