+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage after copr

PVC

May 7, 2012
Hi all,
I have small doubt if I get married after copr issued will be there problem or what you suggest best ?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If you get married after the COPR, you cannot land until your marriage is reflected on the COPR.

If you get married, the COPR does not say married, and you land, you will never be permitted to sponsor your spouse.

Simple question, simple answer, asked by many people.

You can either get the COPR, land, and then go back and get married OR get married, inform IRCC, add your spouse, and then get the COPR issued.

Reactions: calguy

MAIL2SUNDAREEE

Star Member
Oct 25, 2019
Hi all,
I have small doubt if I get married after copr issued will be there problem or what you suggest best ?
in order to make things simple, first land as PR, then you marry.
If you want to marry after COPR and before landing, you need to follow some process, which is complicated/time consuming.
so better try to marry after landing. make sure you collect all data related to your marriage/relationship. collect/store all sort of data that you are married and living together.

calguy

Feb 8, 2020
If you get married after the COPR, you cannot land until your marriage is reflected on the COPR.

If you get married, the COPR does not say married, and you land, you will never be permitted to sponsor your spouse.

You can either get the COPR, land, and then go back and get married OR get married, inform IRCC, add your spouse, and then get the COPR issued.
Considering this covid situation and hence slow processing, do you suggest to marry before first landing? How long would it take now to get COPR for both where it generally takes around 4 months.

COPR expiring in 2 weeks, confused now for if I land and then sponsor later would take around 1 year I guess.

Need your suggestions! Thanks.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
No idea how long it will take given COVID.

If you can land in two weeks, and you are not yet married, then you can certainly do that. If you are married now, and have not adjusted your COPR, you cannot land and sponsor her.

gta88

Jun 30, 2018

Can you share if getting married after COPR expiry is allowed? My friend in India couldn't travel because of COVID issues and his COPR expired in October. He has marriage plans next month. But the confusion is - is it allowed to get married & add spouse to PR application AFTER COPR expiry and inability to travel due to Covid?