+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marital status proof for dependent (common-law partner)

greenhippo

Jul 15, 2018
Hi everyone,

My boyfriend is a born Canadian citizen and we have been living together in Ontario over 1 year. He is going to sponsor me as his common-law partner. I am a work permit holder from Hong Kong and when we checked the country specific requirement, we find that we may have to submit a document called "Proof of marital status for children 16 years of age and older." if (you) hold a passport from this country, you and your family members included in the application.

My boyfriend never has the passport of Hong Kong and we do not have any kid. I am the only dependent with the passport of Hong Kong in this application. Plus, I never have the passport of China as well. I wonder if it only applies to the citizens in China.

So my question is , do I have to apply the proof of my marital status in Hong Kong (I am single) or it is for the children only? The statement is quite confusing to me.

Canada - Additional forms for residents
  • There are no extra forms for this country.
Canada – Instruction(s) for documents
  • There are currently no special instructions for documents for this country.

Hong Kong SAR – Instruction(s) for documents

• Persons born in the People’s Republic of China since 1996 must submit a notarized copy of the original Medical Certificate of Birth issued by the Ministry of Health of the People's Republic of China. (If this is not available, you must submit an explanation as to why this document cannot be submitted.)
  • If you hold a passport from this country, you and your family members included in the application must provide:
    • The household register called the “hukou”.
    • Proof of marital status for children 16 years of age and older.
  • For divorces obtained in the Special Administrative Region of Hong Kong, please provide an “Absolute nisi decree”.
  • If residing in this jurisdiction (or another jurisdiction where Chinese is used for mail delivery): Where indicated, provide your address in Chinese characters as well as in Pinyin or English, including postal code. The mailing address you provide must be the residential address of a person or the business address of a firm. A post office box number is not acceptable.
  • Also include eight (8) address labels with the mailing address in Chinese characters.

Any advice is much appreciated! Thank you in advance!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
You are the applicant and your common law partner is your sponsor. So for this document section, I believe is for the applicant, not for the sponsor.
So it only applies to you.

But I found this section very confusing too.

If you hold a passport from this country, you and your family members included in the application must provide:
  • The household register called the “hukou”.
  • Proof of marital status for children 16 years of age and older.
Because people from Hong Kong DO NOT have "hukou". And the closest information for the "proof of marital status" I can find is "Certificate of Absence of Marriage Record".
https://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immigration/bdmreg/applycamr.htm

Try to search for the HK VO spousal sponsorship discussion. I think people in that group has more information.
We were married when we applied, so we didn't submit this info. (CAMR)