+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maintaining H1B visa and Canada PR

Jun 20, 2024
I am currently on H1B residing in US with i140 approved. I got Candian PR last year. I am looking for options to maintain Canadian PR.

I am planning to travel from Seattle to Vancouver(Canada) over the weekend to make my days count. I saw a couple of posts where folks are doing daily commutes from Windsor to Detroit and I want to do something similar.

But I am not sure if this the right way or not. I would love to know the experience who did or currently do weekend travel or even daily travel between USA and Canada.

I have a couple of questions:
1. If I travel from Canada to USA and cross the border on Friday before 12AM. Is Friday counted as being physically present in Canada?
2. For the return, if I travel from Vancouver to Seattle and cross the Border on Monday morning around 1AM. Does Monday count as being physically present in Canada?

3. Will there be any issues regards to immigration for doing such frequent trips?

4. How do you manage taxes for US and Canada? If I am renting a place in both US and Canada and planning to stay less than 180 days in Canada since it's already June. Do I need to pay taxes in Canada?

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
I am currently on H1B residing in US with i140 approved. I got Candian PR last year. I am looking for options to maintain Canadian PR.

I am planning to travel from Seattle to Vancouver(Canada) over the weekend to make my days count. I saw a couple of posts where folks are doing daily commutes from Windsor to Detroit and I want to do something similar.

But I am not sure if this the right way or not. I would love to know the experience who did or currently do weekend travel or even daily travel between USA and Canada.

1. If I travel from Canada to USA and cross the border on Friday before 12AM. Is Friday counted as being physically present in Canada?
2. For the return, if I travel from Vancouver to Seattle and cross the Border on Monday morning around 1AM. Does Monday count as being physically present in Canada?

3. Will there be any issues regards to immigration for doing such frequent trips?

4. How do you manage taxes for US and Canada? If I am renting a place in both US and Canada and planning to stay less than 180 days in Canada since it's already June. Do I need to pay taxes in Canada?
Any day you are physically present in Canada, even if only for a minute, counts. Would recommend you keep precise records if you cut it very close. The burden of proof always rests with you.

Can't comment on taxes - would recommend you discuss with a tax accountant who's familiar with both systems.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

I’d probably invest in a transborder accountant