+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maiden name as middle name and assume husband surnam

MD25

Apr 7, 2020
Hi, I would like to ask any info will be appreciated. I am living in ontario and married way back 2020. My questions are:
1. When assuming husband surname can I use my maiden name as middle name?
2. If using hyphenated name example maiden name A B. C then using hyphen name A B. C-D. Any thoughts on using the hyphenated last name when booking airline ticket for example.
3. Is it better to use assume married name before or after citizenship application? My pr and passport still on my maiden name.
Please kindly answer. Thank you.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My personal suggestion: change your name either before or after the citizenship application, but not during.

For the rest: it depends on how formal you wish to be. If you want to change all docs in Canada and use it everywhere with no ambiguity, just do a legal name change according to provincial process.

If you are not stressed about this formally, you can use whatever name you like customarily/socially and use (eg maiden name as middle name, such as Marian Maiden >> Marian Maiden Hood or Marian Maiden-Hood [for the character Maid[en] Marian marrying Robin Hood]). Your documents / bank accounts may not perfectly reflect but that's okay if you don't mind, just keep straight which is for formal/legal use.

Up to you. Note that 'middle' names in Canada are just additional given names and customarily ignored in a lot of contexts.

Legal is a bit more time-consuming but you can eventually get full consistency.