+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost Visitor Status But Have Valid Work Permit - Can't Re-enter? Help!

andreavalim

Jan 10, 2017
Good afternoon, everyone. I have been really frustrated the past few days because I have been living in Canada for 3 years, restoring and extending my visas and stuff, last time (May 2016) I applied for a Post-Grad visa and received a paper to attach to my passport. But I forgot to extend my visitor visa. In fact, I didn't know you have to have both. I did it on my own and I guess I didn't know a lot, so now I travelled to Spain to visit family and when I tried to come back, surprise. In Paris they stopped me.

Now I came back to Spain because it was closer to Paris (my native country is Brazil) and I used the Come to Canada tool to see in which category I would fit in, and I applied as Visitor Within Canada - because when it asked me for my home address, I gave where I live, which is in Canada, and not where I am at, because Im just a visitor here in Spain... nor in Brazil, because I haven't lived there in 3 years. The visitor visa expired in July 31st, I think... so I was in Canada with a valid work permit (valid till Nov 2017) but I didn't know of the TRV (I thought I had both)...

So now I am literally freaking out because Im in Spain, not knowing when it will happen (processing times from visitor within canada says 7 days, but for extension it says 36 days, and I don't know which one mine will be considered) and meanwhile my employer is waiting for me and Im afraid Im going to lose my 2 jobs...

Have anyone been in my situation before, or have knowledge of what might happen? Is this bad? Can I still come back to Canada? Literally Im paying rent, phone, I have a million on leases and car, insurance, etc, and I don't want them to throw my stuff in the street or to have a bad credit but I can't afford this for much longer.

If this is not bad and you think Ill receive a visa, should I stay in Spain for a few more days? Or should I go back to Brazil and wait?

clayera

Star Member
Jan 8, 2016
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
EE Inland
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
08-22-2017
LANDED..........
05/2018
Hello Andrea,

I am sorry to hear about the sudden trouble. I understand how this sort of issue throws a wrench on your routine, but the silver lining is that it is not a complicated process. You need to process a new TRV from outside of Canada, which shouldnt' be any problem since you have a valid temporary resident status (your work permit) and just need the TRV to enter. I checked and Spain has a 16 day processing time, and France a 13 days processing time, so you could give your employer an estimate of the process for around

clayera

Star Member
Jan 8, 2016
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
EE Inland
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
08-22-2017
LANDED..........
05/2018
I also wanted to mention that for a TRV, you need to send at some point in the process the actual passport since they need to add the visa sticker page.