+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost my Mom :( I will now return to Canada

anshul_prusty

Apr 18, 2017
Hi Everyone,

Here is my situation and if you can help me I would be so happy:

I became PR in 2011 and my PR Card expired in 2016 May. At that time I did not meet the RO since I was taking care of my mom in my home country who is diagnosed with one of the cruelest diseases on earth called Huntington. I applied for PRTD in 2017 on H&C grounds and submitted all the documents regarding my mom's disease, so Canadian Embassy in my home country gave me a PRTD. I entered Canada in September 2017 and applied for a new PR Card and it arrived very soon, then I left Canada in late October 2017. My new PR Card's expiry is January 2023.

Unfortunately, last month my mom passed away and I have no reason to stay in my home country anymore, so I am planning to return to Canada to continue my career there. I will enter Canada in August 2020 and I wonder if it is ok for me to do so. Do I need an additional approval from the embassy? Or is the PR Card expiring in January 2023 is enough to be able to enter Canada in August 2020?

Many thanks in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Everyone,

Here is my situation and if you can help me I would be so happy:

I became PR in 2011 and my PR Card expired in 2016 May. At that time I did not meet the RO since I was taking care of my mom in my home country who is diagnosed with one of the cruelest diseases on earth called Huntington. I applied for PRTD in 2017 on H&C grounds and submitted all the documents regarding my mom's disease, so Canadian Embassy in my home country gave me a PRTD. I entered Canada in September 2017 and applied for a new PR Card and it arrived very soon, then I left Canada in late October 2017. My new PR Card's expiry is January 2023.

Unfortunately, last month my mom passed away and I have no reason to stay in my home country anymore, so I am planning to return to Canada to continue my career there. I will enter Canada in August 2020 and I wonder if it is ok for me to do so. Do I need an additional approval from the embassy? Or is the PR Card expiring in January 2023 is enough to be able to enter Canada in August 2020?

Many thanks in advance.
You still don’t meet your RO since you won’t have been in Canada for 2 years out of the last 5 years so you could be reported. You should make plans to return to Canada as soon as possible. If you wait for around 1 year after your mother’s passing your H&C arguments are not as strong. You should make sure to have documentation as to why you were not able to meet your RO since you have been out of Canada for a very long time (minus one month).