+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Looking to relocate to Toronto in I.T - please share your experiences! 8)

barkface

Feb 14, 2015
Hi everyone,

It's my first time on this forum, so a brief background...

My wife and I want to relocate to Canada, and our preference is Toronto.

About my professional background:
Bachelors degree in Computer Science, 2:1 honours
Overall 15 years commercial experience in I.T - all customer-facing roles, regular site visits etc across EMEA
6 years developer and implementation consultant
5 years project management consultant experience
Over a decade of technical project management experience, 8 of that exclusively as a PM
Prince 2 certified in 2006, expired but can be re-certified
ITIL foundation certified
Certified Scrum Master
Well versed in Waterfall, Agile, RUP
Currently going through Chartered IT Professional certification process.
Currently employed as a contractor for a UK government agency
Rock solid identity on Linked In - total of 11 recommendations going back 7 years.
CV bang up to date
Portfolio presentation produced as a supplement to my CV and Linked In profiles

My wife:
Bachelors degree in English, 1st class honours
Masters in English
CELTA certification (Teaching English as foreign language)
3+ years exp teaching English as foreign language
3+ years exp teaching children with learning disabilities, development issues etc.

Initial research has indicated that:
- Using the CIC eligibility calculator we are apparently eligible for Express Entry if we take our English IELTS tests
- The I.T economy in Toronto and indeed other major cities is vibrant and there is demand for my skills
- Provinces have their own immigration programmes, but I'm not sure how this works.
- Apparently you can register to be put in some kind of 'skilled workers pool' which Canadian employers can browse through.
- Alternatively you can search for a job directly
- The job search engine on this site (canadavisa) links out to standard job sites like Indeed, which do not specify a need for foreign workers - i.e. are open to Canadians too.

Our current plan:
- Take our IELTS tests in London
- Register on CIC
- ... not sure what next??

What we're confused about is:

- Do Canadian employers REALLY consider foreigners for positions? Would I get a job offer for a permanent position - and would they wait for my visa to be granted?
- How long would a visa take to be granted anyway?
- What is the minimum time it would take following an offer to have a visa granted and start work?

A lot of this is going to become clearer, but if anyone has any experience of I.T professionals who have made the move, I would personally LOVE to hear from them.

Cheers! ::)

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
I would recommend instead of thinking on getting a job to first have a clear understanding of everything else. It is like thinking on what technology to specialize when you don't even know how to code....

Anyway...

barkface said:
It's my first time on this forum, so a brief background...
Your background is ok.

Try to post your questions on the corresponding forums. Most of these questions are not work related.

barkface said:
- Using the CIC eligibility calculator we are apparently eligible for Express Entry if we take our English IELTS tests
In theory yes.... now actually it is a little more complicated than that. Express entry is packed. I wouldn't plan on getting into that program unless you actually have a reason to believe you will be shortlisted.

Plan on the normal expected times and programs.

barkface said:
- The I.T economy in Toronto and indeed other major cities is vibrant and there is demand for my skills
Yes. That doesn't mean that there is no people in here with the skills you have. In fact Toronto is quite flooded with IT professionals. There is a lot of work, but there is also a lot of people looking for those jobs.

barkface said:
- Provinces have their own immigration programmes, but I'm not sure how this works.
Research more. It usually means "Quebec is different".

barkface said:
- The job search engine on this site (canadavisa) links out to standard job sites like Indeed, which do not specify a need for foreign workers - i.e. are open to Canadians too.
There is NO NEED FOR FOREIGN WORKERS.

There is no such thing as jobs waiting eagerly for foreign workers.

You will have to apply for a job as anyone else in Canada, and you will have to go through the same filters plus much others because you are not allowed to work in Canada at the moment.

barkface said:
Our current plan:
- Take our IELTS tests in London
- Register on CIC
- ... not sure what next??
Use the electronic tool and start gathering your documents....

barkface said:
- Do Canadian employers REALLY consider foreigners for positions? Would I get a job offer for a permanent position - and would they wait for my visa to be granted?
Yes. Regardless they are considered as a last alternative.

Usually companies will wait for foreign workers if the worker is worth it. With your profile I don't see that happening.

Companies will ask you first "can you work in Canada?" if you answer no then your application loses strength. Jobs are meant to be occupied in as little as 2 weeks after an offer is made. If you can't make it they'll move to the next candidate.

barkface said:
- How long would a visa take to be granted anyway?
What VISA? There is no such thing as a visa for work, there are work permits and permanent residency. I suggest you look into what you are eligible, then look which of both you will be given if you are accepted and then check the timelines.

barkface said:
- What is the minimum time it would take following an offer to have a visa granted and start work?
Three months, best case scenario.

barkface

Feb 14, 2015
Hiya - thanks for the feedback.

If I read correctly and there is no need for foreign workers then I'm a bit confused why there is any programme whatsoever - Express Entry or PNP.

I see that this topic is for finding work in Canada so perhaps yes this is the wrong topic for my question. I'll keep researching but you seem to paint a very bleak picture of my prospects for moving to Canada!

I can but try of course. ;)

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
barkface said:
If I read correctly and there is no need for foreign workers then I'm a bit confused why there is any programme whatsoever - Express Entry or PNP.
You need to research.

PNP is for people that are already in Canada, have proved to be of value to the economy and the province is interested in keeping them, so that doesn't apply by any means to "foreign workers".

When you say "there is a need for foreign workers" that means Canada is interested in getting people to work in here as the job demand is higher than the workers offer. This is not the case.

As I explained before, there are lots of jobs and there are lots of people who want those jobs, so the market is in constant movement.

barkface said:
I'll keep researching but you seem to paint a very bleak picture of my prospects for moving to Canada!
I am just telling you how it is. It is not easy, it is a long process with high rate of failure. People have been waiting (3,9 12) YEARS for the PR to solve on their favor. Too many people want to come here.

Of course you can and must try. Nonetheless if you are serious about making the move you should do a lot of research, be familiar with terms, options, programs, timelines, etc. etc.

Good luck!

vark

Sep 21, 2011
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
4163 & 2172
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2014 reached 01-Oct2014
Doc's Request.
14-03-2016
AOR Received.
10-02-2015
IELTS Request
Med's Request
26-04-2016
Med's Done....
29-04-2016
Interview........
RPRF Req: 27April & Paid 04May
Passport Req..
06 Jun 2016
VISA ISSUED...
Stamped 10-Jun-2016 Received back 14-Jun-2016
Jalex23 is right!

There are plenty of jobs here.. But the first preference goes to Citizen/PR.. and also to someone who has studied here(even international students) and is readily available for work (99.99% of the times the employer will find a person who is already in Canada.

Moreover 99% of the time employers looking for high profile managerial jobs would prefer a local 'Canadian experienced' person. Its quite easy to get a job if you have a perfect technical knowledge.
For example in my cousins and family circle.
all who were already working and experienced as a IT Managers in big MNC firms in India where not able to get a good job or never got jobs in Canada, while those who with hardcore programming, or Analytic's etc., got good jobs.
Two of my friends have enrolled into higher (MBA and MS) education in Canada as they did not get a job with just Indian experience.

I am not discouraging you but this is the reality.