+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMO help

abamn

Aug 24, 2009
I am a U.S citizen, trying to move to Canada to live with my BF. I understand the best way for me to do this is to go as a visitor and try to get a job. Once I get a job offer how do I get an LMO? When do I apply? I am a little confused as to what this is. Also once I get a job offer do I apply for my work visa in the US?? How long does this take? Can I work while I am waiting for my work permit?? Any help I can get would be great.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
abamn said:
I am a U.S citizen, trying to move to Canada to live with my BF. I understand the best way for me to do this is to go as a visitor and try to get a job. Once I get a job offer how do I get an LMO? When do I apply? I am a little confused as to what this is. Also once I get a job offer do I apply for my work visa in the US?? How long does this take? Can I work while I am waiting for my work permit?? Any help I can get would be great.
You employer applies for the LMO but before he/she could apply for an LMO, he/she must demonstrate efforts to recruit Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents by advertising for the position at the job bank and a major daily or website for 14 days before offering you the job. Once a positive LMO is received, then you can apply for a work permit which you can probably do at the border since you are visa exempt being a US citizen (if the job being offered does not require medicals).

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/communications/advertrecrutment.shtml

I think application for LMO takes about 4 to 6 weeks and your work permit application can be done in a day if you don't need any medicals.