+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMO for all?

JayPeaTee

Jun 10, 2009
I'm 36 years old with 15 years in the hospitality industry (Hotel/Resort/Restaurant) as well as a degree from University, I'm looking to get into the field up in the Vancouver area. I have done some research and noticed the subject of the LMO. Is this needed for all occupations if you are not a Canadian citizen?

Would I need to get a job offer, then an LMO, then apply for a work permit?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The employer would need to apply for the LMO. If he gets approved for it, then you take the LMO and apply for a work permit with it. See http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/supperimm.shtml

Mermaid3011

Star Member
Feb 26, 2009
Toronto, ON
JayPeaTee said:
I'm 36 years old with 15 years in the hospitality industry (Hotel/Resort/Restaurant) as well as a degree from University, I'm looking to get into the field up in the Vancouver area. I have done some research and noticed the subject of the LMO. Is this needed for all occupations if you are not a Canadian citizen?

Would I need to get a job offer, then an LMO, then apply for a work permit?
Hi Jay,

yes that's the common way to go:
1. applying for jobs
2. finding an employer who is willing to give you a job offer and who is willing to do the paperwork for an LMO (only your employer can apply for the LMO, not you)
3. once the LMO is approved you will get a copy of it from your employer. With this document you will have to apply for a TWP (temporary work permit)
4. your employer will have to wait for you until you receive your WP - you can't start work before that

There are other ways like the Provincial Nominee Programs or the longer Permanent Residency process as Skilled worker.
But either way you will need to line up a job first with an employer who is willing to give you a job offer and wait for you.

Good luck!