+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA on renewed WP

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
Hi,

I believe I am posting in the right category.
I came to Canada in March 2018 on an LMIA approved WP.
I didn't have enough points so I had to wait till March 2018 so get the extra points of one year Canadian experience along with the LMIA approved Job offer.

In March my employer had to extend my WP but this time he didn't go via the LMIA route. Instead he chose the C-20 Reciprocacy route. I now have a new WP issued for next 2 years.

My question is are the below answers correct?
Since the initial WP # is different than the current WP#.
The initial WP was LMIA approved and the current one doens't need LMIA

https://imgur.com/a/Up8penW

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi,

I believe I am posting in the right category.
I came to Canada in March 2018 on an LMIA approved WP.
I didn't have enough points so I had to wait till March 2018 so get the extra points of one year Canadian experience along with the LMIA approved Job offer.

In March my employer had to extend my WP but this time he didn't go via the LMIA route. Instead he chose the C-20 Reciprocacy route. I now have a new WP issued for next 2 years.

My question is are the below answers correct?
Since the initial WP # is different than the current WP#.
The initial WP was LMIA approved and the current one doens't need LMIA

https://imgur.com/a/Up8penW

"job offer" refers to an offer of (FUTURE) employment. You cannot us a past job offer for the 50 points, and because you are no longer on an LMIA-approved permit, you can't claim to have that.

You at least could meet the requirements of a job offer with an LMIA-exempt work permit, but you would still need the job offer letter from your employer -the letter has to state that the offer is for at least one year AFTER you become a permanent resident.

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
So one thing is clear I can't claim to have the points of the LMIA since I am no longer on LMIA WP.
But come to think of it, my LMIA for the initial job expired even before I entered Canada. So if I were to submit my application last year - would you say I could have taken the points of the LMIA?
I understand - as of current day - my original LMIA is expired and also my Job offer is not of future employment.

Having said that - I can still get a letter form my employer confirming that my Job offer is for more than 1 year (in future).
Would you say - in that case - I will successfully get points for Job Offer + 1 Year CEC experience (but no LMIA).

Would that be a correct statement?

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
Actually I figured the answer myself.
I am currently on C-20 Reciprocal which is a CIC acknowledged - LMIA exempt category.
So when I am on the CRS Calculator - I select YES for having a Job offer which is LMIA approved coz the definition them explains - either LMIA approved or exempt.
And then of course 1 year CEC experience with the same employer.
So I am back at my good score of 470

kevin92

Dec 23, 2020
Actually I figured the answer myself.
I am currently on C-20 Reciprocal which is a CIC acknowledged - LMIA exempt category.
So when I am on the CRS Calculator - I select YES for having a Job offer which is LMIA approved coz the definition them explains - either LMIA approved or exempt.
And then of course 1 year CEC experience with the same employer.
So I am back at my good score of 470

Hi there,
Curious to know if you have any information about the C-20 program ? My company has offices in Canada. In order to qualify do Canadians/PR have to be hired in US locations in order for reciprocity to work?