+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA, half way through 2 year work permit?

playtheman

Star Member
Jul 5, 2016
New to the forum so Hi.

Ive been working in canada for over a year (since march)

I want to get PR, and I know I need 600 points from a LMIA (my employer wants me to stay in my job, and will offer me a contract and are will to go through the process)

My question is, because I have time on my work permit left, can I get them to do the LMIA without them paying the 1000 dollar fee?
I read on another thread this might be possible and the 1000 is only for people who need temporary work?

and for the lmia, how do they prove I am the best for the job, or is just for show that they advertise?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - your employer can certainly apply for an LMIA. They won't have to pay the $1,000 fee if it's for PR purposes. They will however have to advertise the job for at least a month again (following the LMIA advertising requirements). The advertising they did previously isn't sufficient and won't lead to an approved.

playtheman

Star Member
Jul 5, 2016
Okay, so they advertise but will obviously not hire anyone but me. (not bragging lol)

So do they have to interview people or just advertise?

Will this work for someone who they don't hire currently, for PR purposes also? (my brother)

I have a really good relationship with the bosses of my company and I think they are willing to help me out

edit

Thank you for replies in advance :D

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
playtheman said:
Okay, so they advertise but will obviously not hire anyone but me. (not bragging lol)

So do they have to interview people or just advertise?

Will this work for someone who they don't hire currently, for PR purposes also? (my brother)

I have a really good relationship with the bosses of my company and I think they are willing to help me out

Hey mate,

You should be careful about whom you share this information with. The officer for LMIA might ask for proof of interviews, they might even ask for the names and details of people your company has/had interviewed so they can call them up and double check. Not to burst your bubble here, but getting a LMIA is not an easy task. And it needs to be sincere and honest!

Won't you, yourself (as a PR or a Canadian in future) feel cheated on if the same scenario happens to you in couple of years down the road? Let that sink in for a second.

Just saying,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
rezafc said:
You should be careful about whom you share this information with. The officer for LMIA might ask for proof of interviews, they might even ask for the names and details of people your company has/had interviewed so they can call them up and double check. Not to burst your bubble here, but getting a LMIA is not an easy task. And it needs to be sincere and honest!
Agreed. The officer processing the LMIA will also examine factors like the salary you are being paid (against your occupation and your location) - as well as the employment conditions for your occupation and location. If you are being paid below the median salary for your occupation and area - you can expect a refusal even if the advertising requirements have been met. Similarly, if employment statistics show there are plenty of Canadians with your capabilities that could be easily hired for the role in your region - the LMIA will be refused.

playtheman

Star Member
Jul 5, 2016
rezafc said:
Hey mate,

Won't you, yourself (as a PR or a Canadian in future) feel cheated on if the same scenario happens to you in couple of years down the road? Let that sink in for a second.

Just saying,
I understand what you are saying, However I know they won't be able to find someone to do my Job as they had to train me to replace a guy who did this job for 15 years. It's a very specific job and hard to well.
I'm not trying to screw anyone over, I literally want to get PR and be part of Canada.

And it is unfortunate that they have to interview people just so they can keep me on staff, The system is quiet unfair to everyone involved.
But what am I supposed to do other wise? Go home after 2 years and sell off everything I have built up here?

playtheman

Star Member
Jul 5, 2016
scylla said:
Agreed. The officer processing the LMIA will also examine factors like the salary you are being paid (against your occupation and your location) - as well as the employment conditions for your occupation and location. If you are being paid below the median salary for your occupation and area - you can expect a refusal even if the advertising requirements have been met. Similarly, if employment statistics show there are plenty of Canadians with your capabilities that could be easily hired for the role in your region - the LMIA will be refused.

The Job offer will be for a promotion to my current title.
They don't pay me below the median wage (they pay me more than they guy I replaced now)

My job is legitimate, Its not a case of being a dishwasher who they are calling a manager.

I am literally in a good position in the company. I want to stay here, I don't want to screw anyone as I have said. But going home to Europe isn't what I want.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
playtheman said:
The Job offer will be for a promotion to my current title.
They don't pay me below the median wage (they pay me more than they guy I replaced now)
FYI - by "median wage" I don't mean "minimum wage". I'm instead referring to the median wage for your occupation (NOC) and city. If you haven't done so already, definitely look this up to make sure you are being paid at least the median wage for your occupation and area.

playtheman

Star Member
Jul 5, 2016
scylla said:
FYI - by "median wage" I don't mean "minimum wage". I'm instead referring to the median wage for your occupation (NOC) and city. If you haven't done so already, definitely look this up to make sure you are being paid at least the median wage for your occupation and area.
I get paid more than minimum wage already, like I said make more than they guy who did the job for 15 years after being in it only 3 months.

Sorry if my post came across as underhand.
I just want to stay in the Awesome country

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
playtheman said:
I understand what you are saying, However I know they won't be able to find someone to do my Job as they had to train me to replace a guy who did this job for 15 years. It's a very specific job and hard to well.
I'm not trying to screw anyone over, I literally want to get PR and be part of Canada.

And it is unfortunate that they have to interview people just so they can keep me on staff, The system is quiet unfair to everyone involved.
But what am I supposed to do other wise? Go home after 2 years and sell off everything I have built up here?
Nobody said you are screwing the system. I just pointed out that it is not an easy task and it needs to fall inline with all the fairness and regulations of this structure.

Also on the other note, you just spent 2 years and you already think Canada owes you? Mate there have been / are people building a life, with kids and everything for +10 years, studying their best in the schools, building walls of debts, paying taxes, living on minimum wage, working their asses off under very very difficult and serious damaging circumstances and are yet to get their PR! 2 years is nothing. It looks like a vacation to me.

All the best,

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
playtheman said:
I get paid more than minimum wage already, like I said make more than they guy who did the job for 15 years after being in it only 3 months.

Sorry if my post came across as underhand.
I just want to stay in the Awesome country
Looks like you don't understand what scylla is saying. It doesn't matter if you are getting paid more than minimum wage! You will need to get paid the Median wage or more! Use google.

playtheman

Star Member
Jul 5, 2016
rezafc said:
Nobody said you are screwing the system. I just pointed out that it is not an easy task and it needs to fall inline with all the fairness and regulations of this structure.

Also on the other note, you just spent 2 years and you already think Canada owes you? Mate there have been / are people building a life, with kids and everything for +10 years, paying taxes, living on minimum wage, working their asses off on very very difficult and serious damaging circumstances and are yet to get their PR! 2 years is nothing. It looks like a vacation to me.

All the best,
How are people staying here for 10+ years without PR?
Canada doesn't owe me jack. But If I could stay in canada for 10 years without PR I would.

I want to stay here, PR or not.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What NOC are you and which city are you located in? This will determine your median wage (which again, is not at all the same thing as the minimum wage).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
One more thing you'll need to look into to get the 600 points - in addition to the LMIA, your employer also needs to provide you with a permanent job offer (a contract isn't enough since it's temporary). So make sure you have that conversation with your employer as well since this will need to be put in writing.

playtheman

Star Member
Jul 5, 2016
scylla said:
One more thing you'll need to look into to get the 600 points - in addition to the LMIA, your employer also needs to provide you with a permanent job offer (a contract isn't enough since it's temporary). So make sure you have that conversation with your employer as well since this will need to be put in writing.
Im pretty sure my NOC is 'B' right now, Like I said job is specific as its hand built one off wooden windows, specialty stuff that we make for other companies.

What if the permanent job offer is above my current position? like 0 for managers?

They have suggested I become a manager of my area and are the ones that asked me to stay in Canada.
They are willing to do whatever it takes (With in reason)

When I thought it would cost him 1k CAD he just said, get all the information and lets talk about it.