+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA-Exempt Work Permit - Reciprocal Employment

lizard2457

Jun 2, 2022
Hi Everyone!

Has any applied and received an LMIA-exempt work permit, specifically under the reciprocal employment category? If yes, what was your profile / how did you qualify for this and how long was the processing time?

Thanks in advance!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi Everyone!

Has any applied and received an LMIA-exempt work permit, specifically under the reciprocal employment category? If yes, what was your profile / how did you qualify for this and how long was the processing time?

Thanks in advance!
Which NOC and LMIA exempt code? Coach/player? Fishing? Arts? Working for foreign company and company has reciprocal arrangement with Canadian company?

lizard2457

Jun 2, 2022
Which NOC and LMIA exempt code? Coach/player? Fishing? Arts? Working for foreign company and company has reciprocal arrangement with Canadian company?
NOC code 11100; LMIA exempt code C20. I am currently working for a Canadian company that has branches in other countries, including my home country. Would this qualify?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
NOC code 11100; LMIA exempt code C20. I am currently working for a Canadian company that has branches in other countries, including my home country. Would this qualify?
So you are looking to work in home country? You already work in Canada so it would be looking at other branches in other countries to work. It is not reciprocal if you are not working in a foreign branch and then asking for a reciprocal transfer. Assume the company has done many of these transfers and it is part of their hiring policy.

lizard2457

Jun 2, 2022
So you are looking to work in home country? You already work in Canada so it would be looking at other branches in other countries to work. It is not reciprocal if you are not working in a foreign branch and then asking for a reciprocal transfer. Assume the company has done many of these transfers and it is part of their hiring policy.
I am working in Canada but since my PGWP work permit is expiring, I’m looking to get an LMIA-exempt work permit to be able to continue to work here.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am working in Canada but since my PGWP work permit is expiring, I’m looking to get an LMIA-exempt work permit to be able to continue to work here.
So that would not a reciprocal arrangement because you have no worked in the ”foreign” office to be eligible for such an arrangement. You should be looking at LMIA? What country are your from and what is the NOC?

lizard2457

Jun 2, 2022
So that would not a reciprocal arrangement because you have no worked in the ”foreign” office to be eligible for such an arrangement. You should be looking at LMIA? What country are your from and what is the NOC?
Per my understanding it does not have to be me that is looking to transfer. Just that a similar opportunity would be offered to Canadians in my home country (a Canadian employee from my company transferring to my home country’s branch). LMIA is off the table as my employer could easily find a replacement.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Per my understanding it does not have to be me that is looking to transfer. Just that a similar opportunity would be offered to Canadians in my home country (a Canadian employee from my company transferring to my home country’s branch). LMIA is off the table as my employer could easily find a replacement.
Still don’t understand as you are not in home country. Talk to HR.

lizard2457

Jun 2, 2022
Still don’t understand as you are not in home country. Talk to HR.
I think the one you are referring to is the intra-company transfer LMIA-exempt category. I have talked to HR but also wanted to get other peoples perspective who have gone through the process, hence my posting here.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I think the one you are referring to is the intra-company transfer LMIA-exempt category. I have talked to HR but also wanted to get other peoples perspective who have gone through the process, hence my posting here.
If HR has done it this in the past then go for it. There are operational guidelines for company’s under this code so company should be familiar with requirements. They will have in their current HR plan that they have ongoing (past and future) reciprocal agreements.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So this is a work permit exemption we don't see often on this forum.

My understanding is that your company needs to prove that there is a similar arrangement available in another country where they operate. It is definitely not sufficient to show they have branches in other countries. They need to show that country has a reciprocal agreement with Canada that allows Canadians to obtain work permits under an exempt agreement (similar to the one you are applying through). I believe they may also need to demonstrate that Canadians have taken advantage of that reciprocal agreement (although not totally sure about that). Agreed this is a discussion you need to have with HR since your company is the one that will need to provide evidence to prove your role meets the LMIA exemption.

Please update us on how all of this goes. It's quite rare we see anyone on this forum applying through this exemption. Good luck.