+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA exempt job points not registering

smallon21

Sep 8, 2024
Hi there,

Any insight would be much appreciated for my application.

My partner and I are currently have 497 points with him being the main applicant.

We've had two 2 year open IEC visas under different passports and have been working for the same employer since 2021 (him - June, me - Nov). We spoke to an immigration lawyer that suggested we apply for an closed (YP) work permit through our employer which is classed as an Lmia exempt job. We've just activated them and when I changed our profile to reflect this, our points have remained the same for over a week.

The lawyer can't explain why it's happening so I'm wondering if anyone else knows?

For reference he's a food service supervisor and I'm a food service manager.

Thanks! :)

smallon21

Sep 8, 2024
You don’t get 50 points until you have worked a year on your YP closed work permit.
Well that sucks. I'm curious though because how does it know when my year is up? I haven't entered my start date for my YP permit anywhere and as far as current job and work experience go, it all back dates to 2021?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Well that sucks. I'm curious though because how does it know when my year is up? I haven't entered my start date for my YP permit anywhere and as far as current job and work experience go, it all back dates to 2021?
You will have two separate work experience entries because you are starting on a closed work permit to count the year. Same for closed work permit.