+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA Except - IEC

KaseyEE

Jan 10, 2024
Hey, i was wondering if anyone could help me here? slightly awkward one

i'm currently working on a IEC - working holiday visa and would have been with one company for a year in June.
I'm looking for more points (LMIA) and i can't claim them in June as my work permit is open.
If i apply for a IEC - Closed Young professional visa with my current employer on the visa would i be LMIA except and be able to claim the 50 points?
the main question i have would be would i have to work a yaer on my new YP visa IEC or would it count my previous work with the IEC working holiday visa.
my ideal scenario would be LMIA except for 50 points in June and claim the points on my new working visa

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hey, i was wondering if anyone could help me here? slightly awkward one

i'm currently working on a IEC - working holiday visa and would have been with one company for a year in June.
I'm looking for more points (LMIA) and i can't claim them in June as my work permit is open.
If i apply for a IEC - Closed Young professional visa with my current employer on the visa would i be LMIA except and be able to claim the 50 points?
the main question i have would be would i have to work a yaer on my new YP visa IEC or would it count my previous work with the IEC working holiday visa.
my ideal scenario would be LMIA except for 50 points in June and claim the points on my new working visa
You must work for one year on the LMIA exempt permit to claim the 50 points. So you cannot claim previous work on your working holiday visa.

Are you eligible for another IEC permit? Make sure employer is familiar with process, and will to support you.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/hire-temporary-foreign/iec.html

Last edited:

KaseyEE

Jan 10, 2024
thanks for the reply. yeah i have a good relationship with my employer and they are happy to help. it's really frustrating i can't use the working holiday as experience as it is LMIA except it's just a open permit. I'm from the UK so i am able to apply again for the IEC thankfully