+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

living outside canada applying for citizenship

kimbhoot

Nov 24, 2008
Hi,

I became a Canadian PR in 2003 as my wife sponsored me who is a Canadian Citizen. I've been living in the states since 2003 until now with my wife. My question is, am I eligible for applying for citizenship in Canada? I read in the immigration handbook that, if a PR is living abroad with a canadian citizen(wife, children), it's considered living in canada.

My PR card expires January 2009, not sure what to do at this point. Please advise.

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The residency requirement for citizenship are not the same as for PR status. For PR status you must live in Canada at least 730 days in any 5 year period to keep it but as you said, if you are accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse in a different country, that time counts as time spent in Canada when it comes to keeping your PR status.

For citizenship, you need to have physically been in Canada yourself for 1095 days in the previous 4 years before you apply. Being away with a Canadian citizen spouse does not count for that so no, you do not qualify to apply for citizenship.

You can not apply to renew your PR card from outside of Canada. When you want to return to Canada, you need to apply for a PR travel document to enter Canada and then you can apply for a new PR card once you are there.