+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Live in Caregiver Program for someone already in Canada?

pallen

Oct 11, 2009
Hi Everyone,

First off, I'm so glad that I found this site. Everyone has ALOT of great information to share which is very much appreciated. This is all very new to us so I have some questions about sponsoring a nanny through the live in caregiver program that I'm hoping some of you can answer.
-The nanny that we are looking to hire is already in Canada, she left her previous employer in August because it was a bad situation for her. She worked for that employer for 14 months under the LCP. Will the process be any quicker because she is already in Canada? Is the process any different?
-We are located in New Brunswick. Can someone please tell me how much we will be required to pay the Nanny and how much we would deduct for room and board? The employment site says $8.25 per hour but it doesn't say how much for room and board.
-We require the Nanny for 30 hours per week. Would we qualify for the program?
-Do we need to provide Health Benefits/Insurance? How many paid sick days?
-I've heard many good things about filipino nannies, ie. hardworking, loving, trustworthy etc. Has anyone heard anything about nannies from Peru?

I'm looking forward to your reply. Thanks in advance.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
pallen said:
Hi Everyone,

First off, I'm so glad that I found this site. Everyone has ALOT of great information to share which is very much appreciated. This is all very new to us so I have some questions about sponsoring a nanny through the live in caregiver program that I'm hoping some of you can answer.
-The nanny that we are looking to hire is already in Canada, she left her previous employer in August because it was a bad situation for her. She worked for that employer for 14 months under the LCP. Will the process be any quicker because she is already in Canada? Is the process any different? Yes, she can change employers. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/caregiver/extend-stay.asp#change You need to file for new LMO opinion for her. http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/fwp_forms.shtml
-We are located in New Brunswick. Can someone please tell me how much we will be required to pay the Nanny and how much we would deduct for room and board? The employment site says $8.25 per hour but it doesn't say how much for room and board. Normally $325 per month.You have to check with the standards of your province.
-We require the Nanny for 30 hours per week. Would we qualify for the program? You have to check your provincial labour standards as LCP should be full time, so she should be offered full time work hours.
-Do we need to provide Health Benefits/Insurance? How many paid sick days? You may provide MSP as a benefit. Don't know much about paid sick days for LCP.
-I've heard many good things about filipino nannies, ie. hardworking, loving, trustworthy etc. Has anyone heard anything about nannies from Peru? Sorry, you may have to decide that for yourself as these are subjective.

I'm looking forward to your reply. Thanks in advance.

mydesire

Star Member
Mar 31, 2009
Ottawa
http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/advertreq/wageadreq.shtml#tphp

http://www.rhdcc-hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/lcpdir/lcpone.shtml

luz

Sep 1, 2009
dear pallen,

yes, you are right about the characteristic of Filipina nanny and aside from that caregiver from the Philippines is a university/college graduate as one of the requirement in Canadian embassy, so I can surely say she can speak and read English well.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
luz said:
dear pallen,

yes, you are right about the characteristic of Filipina nanny and aside from that caregiver from the Philippines is a university/college graduate as one of the requirement in Canadian embassy, so I can surely say she can speak and read English well.
Yup, everything Pallen said about Filipino nannies being hardworking, loving, trustworthy are true. I haven't heard anything about nannies from Peru though. Pallen is the live in caregiver you're hiring from Peru? You will have to decide for yourself if they are. Will you let us know? :eek:) Thanks.