+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Letters from previous employer (FSW)

omaradib

Mar 31, 2009
Hi,

I have done two jobs in the past. The last one already fulfills the minimum requirement of 1 year equivalent work experience. I have the letter from the employer verifying that. Now, the question is, do I still need a letter from the first employment? If yes, I am wondering why.

Also, the document checklist mentioned that only copies of the letters are required. In that case, is it okay if I submit a copy of my employer's letter, not the original one?

cynthia12

Aug 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
All files were sent on the same date
AOR Received.
30-01-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with the application
File Transfer...
05-06-12
Dear omaradib,

Both answers are easily found in the document checklist, but anyway:

1- Yes you need a letter from your first employment simply because it is required. The following is copied from the document checklist:
"Evidence of Qualifying Work Experience
For the principal applicant
Letters of reference from all employers in the skilled trade occupation identified in your application for all periods of qualifying work
experience;"

2- The document checklist mentioned that copies of the letters are required ONLY for work experience done IN CANADA FOR THE PAST 5 YEARS IN THE SKILLED TRADE OCCUPATION. But all other reference letters are required ORIGINAL.

Hope that answered your questions :)

namaste

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Nomination.....
15-10-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
25-11-2014
Med's Done....
10-12-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
You need to get letter from the next employer only if
1. the employment is in the same NOC code as the other job AND
2. You want additional points for work experience beyond what you will get from one job.

omaradib

Mar 31, 2009
Hi cynthia12,

Your answer unfortunately does not apply to my case because both of your quotes are from the checklist for "FEDERAL SKILLED TRADES CLASS", whereas I am applying for federal skilled worker class.

But thanks for the answer. You are hinting that I should just follow the checklist word by word. The checklist says -

Letters of reference from all your employers for the past 10 years.

And it also says -

Copies (originals may be requested later by an officer)

But what if I was unemployed at that time? Then no letter would have been required, isn't it? Letters should only be necessary if it is crucial to fulfill the minimum requirement or collect points. If I can acquire that without it, I think the letter should not be needed.

omaradib

Mar 31, 2009
Hi namaste,

A very good answer! The first employment is not in the same NOC, but it is in the eligible skill level/type. But the main thing is, I fulfill the work experience minimum requirement and get enough points already without using the first employment. So, I can safely assume that I do not really need the letter from the first employment? I think you might be able to give a good answer to that.

Now, I am worrying because I actually *have* a letter from the first employer, which I brought from my native country when I was leaving for Canada as a student, but it is old and it does not mention enough details such as salaries and hours. But, if the letter is not really mandatory for my case, then I guess I can safely use the letter as the way it is now.

More so, the checklist mentioned that only copies of the letters are required, but I don't think they really mean that. :D

Thanks again.