+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Length of Program

nganhk1

Apr 6, 2017
Hello All,

I am in a quite unique case right now. So when I came to Canada, I was offered a Masters degree in Finance but after finishing the first term (1 month long in summer), I decided to switch over to Accounting one.

The Accounting program is 16 months long (Summer - Fall - Winter - Summer) but I was exempt to take 2 classes in Summer term and was asked to take 3 classes from Summer term in later terms. In total, I have around 57 credits out of 60 credits for 16 month program due to exemption.

Today, I realized that I never received an offer letter from my school from the switch to Accounting program. Thus, I have no idea how long my PGWP is. 16 month program study will allow me to have 3 years work permit but I finish the 16 month program in 13 months. Will I still be entitled to get 16 month permit?

I talked to school rep and they can't issue a backdated Offer Letter and will need to know some details to issue a new letter to meet your objectives. What should I do?

anton1990

Champion Member
Dec 22, 2015
North Battleford
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
14-04-2016
Nomination.....
21-04-2016
AOR Received.
11-07-2016
Med's Request
02-05-2017
Med's Done....
09-05-2017
Passport Req..
08-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2017
LANDED..........
14-01-2018
nganhk1 said:
Hello All,

I am in a quite unique case right now. So when I came to Canada, I was offered a Masters degree in Finance but after finishing the first term (1 month long in summer), I decided to switch over to Accounting one.

The Accounting program is 16 months long (Summer - Fall - Winter - Summer) but I was exempt to take 2 classes in Summer term and was asked to take 3 classes from Summer term in later terms. In total, I have around 57 credits out of 60 credits for 16 month program due to exemption.

Today, I realized that I never received an offer letter from my school from the switch to Accounting program. Thus, I have no idea how long my PGWP is. 16 month program study will allow me to have 3 years work permit but I finish the 16 month program in 13 months. Will I still be entitled to get 16 month permit?

I talked to school rep and they can't issue a backdated Offer Letter and will need to know some details to issue a new letter to meet your objectives. What should I do?
According to CIC u are eligible only for 16 months work permit
A Post-Graduation Work Permit cannot be valid longer than the length of your studies in Canada.

If the official length of your program of study is:

less than eight months
you are not eligible for this program
less than two years but more than eight months
you may get a work permit for a period no longer than the length of your program of study (for example, if you studied for nine months, a work permit may be issued for a period of nine months)
two years or more
a work permit may be issued for three years