+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving the country after work permit extension is refused

NOO1

Apr 26, 2017
I would like to know how many days I have to leave the country after a decision has been made on my application for work permit extension and it was denied.
Also, what happens if by the date I receive the refusal an application for study permit is been processed? Can I stay or I still need to leave? Is the refusal of the work permit going to affect the application for study permit?

macIndia

Star Member
Oct 13, 2016
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
L-7.5, R- 7, S-7,W-7
Did you have work and study permit application both submitted at the same time ?

if you apply for work permit before the expiry of your last WP, you go to implied status. Once you receive refusal on WP extension, you go out of status and have 90 days to restore the status (from refusal date) or leave the country.

NOO1

Apr 26, 2017
My initial work permit expired on April 30. Before that day I apply to a WP extension in order to continue working, I did that on paper so that it takes longer and I can continue working for more days. Then I'm on implied status. However, I know that my application is going to be denied, 100% sure.

By the other hand I applied to a MSc degree and I'm waiting for an answer that should come later this month. So:
First scenario: I'm not accepted in the university and by august I receive a letter from CIC telling me I have to leave the country. Then I´ll be out of status. Do I have 90 days to leave the country?
Second scenario: I'm accepted in the university and I need a study permit. May I apply to the study permit while being in implied status or do I need to wait until CIC refuses my work permit application and then apply to the restoration and study permit?

Thanks!

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
If you apply for WP extension just for implied status and with incomplete documents, the days you've worked are considered illegal. CIC changed the rules on implied status a few years ago. The refusal letter will state the date you had valid status.

You have 90 days to restore your status after your WP extension is refused and for SP you'll have to apply outside the country or mail it to Los Angles.

Others can advise on this...

macIndia

Star Member
Oct 13, 2016
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
L-7.5, R- 7, S-7,W-7
NOO1 said:
My initial work permit expired on April 30. Before that day I apply to a WP extension in order to continue working, I did that on paper so that it takes longer and I can continue working for more days. Then I'm on implied status. However, I know that my application is going to be denied, 100% sure.

By the other hand I applied to a MSc degree and I'm waiting for an answer that should come later this month. So:
First scenario: I'm not accepted in the university and by august I receive a letter from CIC telling me I have to leave the country. Then I´ll be out of status. Do I have 90 days to leave the country?
Second scenario: I'm accepted in the university and I need a study permit. May I apply to the study permit while being in implied status or do I need to wait until CIC refuses my work permit application and then apply to the restoration and study permit?

Thanks!
I was pretty much in the same scenario. Do not apply for Study Permit while you are on implied status (It would go outland and reduce your chances to have it approved).

Wait for WP to be refused, and apply for status restoration as student. I did the same and got it restored.

You would have 90 days to restore from refusal date. Link your application on MyCIC online, so that you get the refusal letter in real time, and keep everything ready for your restoration application and lodge it as soon as you get the refusal.

NOO1

Apr 26, 2017
Thanks!

I sent the documentation complete, so I'm not worried about being working illegally. I just know there's no way they're going to approve my work permit under that conditions.

So I'll wait until I get the refusal, and then apply for restoration as a student if I get accepted in the University.

However, I'm still wondering how many days I have to leave the country in case I'm not accepted in the University. Does anyone know that? I know when the WP is refused CIC send a letter ordering to leave the country immediately, but what does it mean? the same day? a week? one month?

macIndia

Star Member
Oct 13, 2016
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
L-7.5, R- 7, S-7,W-7
If your WP is refused, you are not ordered to leave, instead you are directed to apply for restoration or voluntarily leave within 90 days of refusal.

You don't have to leave, you can either apply to extend your stay as Visitor or Student. if you do not get acceptance in University, go for a college in your area.