+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada while waiting for PR

r_monn

Jun 17, 2018
Hi all,

In the end of February I submitted all my documents for my inland PR application and got a day later the AOR. Right now I'm living in Canada on a bridging open work permit which will expire in August 2018. I'm from a visa exempt country and would like to visit my family for a few weeks.

I found on CIC the following:

Can I leave Canada while IRCC processes my application for permanent residence?
Yes. However, if you leave Canada while your application is being processed, you must meet all the admissibility rules before being allowed back into Canada.

If you leave Canada and want to return, you must have all the required documents to enter. This can include:

If you are unable to return to Canada, we could determine that you abandoned your application. In that case, we will not process it.

I have all the required documents but I searched for more information and found a lot of posts that say by leaving Canada I would abandon my application and risk a refusal. I certainly don't want to risk a refusal.

Can I leave and reenter Canada without any problems? And for how long can I leave? Some say it would be ok if the trip is not too long... What is too long?

What do you guys think?