+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada on long term during inland PR application

cakgun

May 9, 2017
Hi,

My spouse and I had to leave Canada while our sponsorship application was being processed, just after the medical exam, for professional reasons. This is a longterm stay, but we plan on returning to Canada in the course of 2018.

Do I have to withdraw my application and apply again from outside Canada? Or will my application still be processed, as if I would be staying in Canada? How and what do I need to communicate to CIC? I am aware I would have to Canada for appointments like the interview, but that would not be a big difficulty for me.

I read on a page of CIC that staying with your Canadian spouse outside of Canada would count to your years as living in Canada, at least for after you have your PR status. Maybe this is also applied to the application phase?

Thanks for the help!

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
If you are out of the country long term (more than a month), you can expect it will be refused. You may as well withdraw now, and try and get some money back or apply outland. Inland requires you to remain in Canada during the processing.The exception you are referring to is only if you have PR status.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi,

My spouse and I had to leave Canada while our sponsorship application was being processed, just after the medical exam, for professional reasons. This is a longterm stay, but we plan on returning to Canada in the course of 2018.

Do I have to withdraw my application and apply again from outside Canada? Or will my application still be processed, as if I would be staying in Canada? How and what do I need to communicate to CIC? I am aware I would have to Canada for appointments like the interview, but that would not be a big difficulty for me.

I read on a page of CIC that staying with your Canadian spouse outside of Canada would count to your years as living in Canada, at least for after you have your PR status. Maybe this is also applied to the application phase?

Thanks for the help!
So you submitted an INLAND application package?

If you did, a rule of the INLAND app is that both sponsor and applicant are cohabiting IN CANADA for duration of processing. Once visa officer learns you're left Canada long term, they will probably reject the application since you no longer qualify for inland processing.

The rules around accompanying a Canadian citizen sponsor abroad, is only to maintain your residency obligation after you have PR status.

kprs_ind

Apr 17, 2013
Chennai
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-08-2013
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
06-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
10-03-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2014
LANDED..........
29-07-2014
In Inland application, can we both visit a country and be back within a week and the application is not impacted?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You can, but the risk is that CBSA deny you entry on your return, at which point your application would be rejected.

M

mikeymyke

If travelling was really important, you shoudlve applied outland

Hi,

Thanks for the help!

cakgun

May 9, 2017
Thank you all for your answers! I believe withdrawing and reapplying will be the safer way here.

It is a pity that this distinction is done here. In our current situation we are not sure yet when we will be able to stay in one place, which makes everything fairly complicated.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Thank you all for your answers! I believe withdrawing and reapplying will be the safer way here.

It is a pity that this distinction is done here. In our current situation we are not sure yet when we will be able to stay in one place, which makes everything fairly complicated.
For situations like yours you're supposed to apply OUTLAND from the beginning, even if you're in Canada at the time. The application package gives you the option to apply outland if you're currently in Canada but expect you'll have to leave at some point. With an outland app in progress, the applicant can move all over the world and it won't make any difference to the app.

Only the INLAND app has restrictive rules.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013

Was there a reason for you to apply INLAND in the first place? Usually people apply outland on account that it is usually much faster than INLAND. However getting ability to get an OWP / health care coverage are some of the benefits of applying inland thus reason why inland has more restrictive rules.

I personally know someone who applied inland and the Canadian spouse (the sponsor) went outside Canada for better pay over minimum wage in Canada, while applicant remained in Canada. Their application got refused on account CIC found out that the sponsor was not living inside Canada with applicant as required. They had to resubmit their application again. I told the sponsor that he/she was jeopardizing the application by living and working outside Canada during inland application. He/she didn't believe anything would happen to their application. Boy, how wrong they were.