+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada after citizenship - already received RQ

rampager

May 19, 2011
I've read a lot of threads mentioning that it's alright to leave the country after submitting an application, but the chances of receiving an RQ increase considerably if the applicant does so.

Well, I've already received an RQ so that is no longer an issue. I applied in December 2011, almost 2 years ago and received a letter for the RQ a year later (Dec 2012), and submitted the paperwork right away. I'm still waiting for the test date.

Now, some great opportunities for personal and professional growth have emerged outside of Canada (this isn't the only place in world, after all) and I'm going to take them. My questions, and concerns, are rather simple:

What are the obstacles to my citizenship if I leave Canada?
Can they deny me citizenship on the basis of me not residing in Canada? I've heard stories of this happening and want clarification that this is just hearsay. My PR card is valid until end of 2017, and since I haven't left Canada in the last 2 years, I'm good as a permanent resident until at least 2016, based on the rolling calculation.
What do I need to do to prevent any potential problems? This ranges from something simple as whether I need to keep a bank account open to whether I need own larger assets in Canada (such as a house) until I get my citizenship finalized.
Do I need a lawyer to file any paperwork?

I appreciate your insight as always.

Thank you.

123sMike

Star Member
May 20, 2013
legally they should give you the citizenship, there are cases where they question why you left etc etc ..and you have to prove that you have some ties ..such as house or family still living in canada..in that case you have to fill canadian taxes..regarding pr card validity is concerned..you are good till 2017 since last 5 years would be from 2012 - 2017 and you stayed 2012-2013 i.e 1 year so you have to be back by 2016 to prove that you would be in canada for 2 years out of 5...just my 2 cents

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RQ is the only thing the government can give you in order to prolong your Citizenship.They also know most immigrants leave after getting the passport which is why they are kind of forcing people to stay here by prolonging the citizenship

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you keep your Canadian address and CIC mail gets to you in time via a friend etc then you are ok. If you miss anything then not so good - recent Operational Bulletins show CIC regime moving to a one time notification for tests, info requests, oath etc. You don't respond in time e.g you never got mail then your application gets closed out. By the time you see stuff on ecas if ever at all then its usually too late.

As per previous poster PR Card validity is not the right way to look into maintaining PR status...you need 2 years every 5 years on a rolling basis...if you were absent from Canada in the 3 years prior to the 2 years you have then you hit the RO breach zone.

You shouldn't need a lawyer but if you feel more comfortable using one sure go ahead just make sure they are competent and experienced.

Your mileage may vary depending on if you applied with 1095 days of 'provable' physical presence or are relying on basic residence.

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You may be thinking along the lines that because you've got and submitted RQ the worst is over for you and your absence from Canada after won't make much difference.

Issues here:

1) It'll take substantial amount of time to review your RQ and invite you to test.

2) At test/interview CIC will find out you're not in country anymore and about a more of less permanent nature of your absence, and instead of scheduling you for oath, will very probably put you on a queue for a judge hearing. This will add 1-2 more years.

3) I don't know if you're going to update your actual home address while abroad (by their policy you should update CIC with actual home address while application is in process), but there's indication that in this case or after they'll find out you're living abroad at test/interview (which can aggravate case, in my opinion), they'll put long-term BF (bring forward) date on case, which means case would become low priority and further processing will slow down considerably (and this is not good with current timelines, attitudes and atmosphere at CIC), or even worse, there may be policy in place to put cases "on hold" while applicant resides abroad, which would mean further processing will pause completely.

Here's a quote from CIC internal communications suggesting there may be special treatment for cases with foreign addresses on file.

http://i43.tinypic.com/b3vp8p.png

In essence, CIC will very probably try to prolong your case until you'll become subject to lose PR status and squeeze you from the country, if you won't return in time to better situation. 1), 2), 3) and other delays, like possible comprehensive CSIS background check "unexpectedly" cast on your case, can easily delay processing for more than 2-3 years, so you may end up in a bucket similar to one that is currently filled with people who are still waiting for their citizenship from 2009 or 2010. Make your research and plan accordingly.

crocdile

Nov 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree with EasyRider! This is the MOST likely scenario (according to cases that I have seen on different lawsuits again CIC).

EasyRider said:
You may be thinking along the lines that because you've got and submitted RQ the worst is over for you and your absence from Canada after won't make much difference.

Issues here:

1) It'll take substantial amount of time to review your RQ and invite you to test.

2) At test/interview CIC will find out you're not in country anymore and about a more of less permanent nature of your absence, and instead of scheduling you for oath, will very probably put you on a queue for a judge hearing. This will add 1-2 more years.

3) I don't know if you're going to update your actual home address while abroad (by their policy you should update CIC with actual home address while application is in process), but there's indication that in this case or after they'll find out you're living abroad at test/interview (which can aggravate case, in my opinion), they'll put long-term BF (bring forward) date on case, which means case would become low priority and further processing will slow down considerably (and this is not good with current timelines, attitudes and atmosphere at CIC), or even worse, there may be policy in place to put cases "on hold" while applicant resides abroad, which would mean further processing will pause completely.

Here's a quote from CIC internal communications suggesting there may be special treatment for cases with foreign addresses on file.

In essence, CIC will very probably try to prolong your case until you'll become subject to lose PR status and squeeze you from the country, if you won't return in time to better situation. 1), 2), 3) and other delays, like possible comprehensive CSIS background check "unexpectedly" cast on your case, can easily delay processing for more than 2-3 years, so you may end up in a bucket similar to one that is currently filled with people who are still waiting for their citizenship from 2009 or 2010. Make your research and plan accordingly.

123sMike

Star Member
May 20, 2013
it would be intersting to know if somebody was in similar position and recieved their citizenship, did somebody leave after applying for citizenship or after applying for RQ and did receive their citizenships, please share!!!

Yolka

Mar 28, 2013
123sMike said:
it would be intersting to know if somebody was in similar position and recieved their citizenship, did somebody leave after applying for citizenship or after applying for RQ and did receive their citizenships, please share!!!
I am personally in the same situation, applied and left after few months (but because of my husband's job abroad). I remember there was a lady in the forum who also left after applying for citizenship. She got her citizenship within 24 months with no RQ and by the way she moved to US after applying and as she said, she told the CIC about that too but her application was very smooth! I guess it is case by case and I believe in Good Luck very much :)

I won't be surprised if I get RQ and it will be very hard for a family with two young kids. Just to be clear, I also informed CIC about me moving abroad so far I am happy with my application process.

Also be careful with the tax, if you have a family in Canada and you work in a different country you will still have to pay the tax in Canada (or the difference which can be huge too)! Good luck to All!

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't know why your case should be a problem. Hey...you fulfilled your citizenship number of days I assume? If not then it's a problem.

If you did then don't listen to any lawyer or person. Every single info is on the CIC website. So what if you left the country? Lots of Canadians are living in the Middle East, Mexico, Hong Kong...etc. The government is not stupid and they understand that a lot of Canadians are being recruited by companies all over the world. However make sure you abide by the laws, file taxes and don't cheat by pretending to be in Canada and you are physically somewhere else. Canada caught lots of people doing that especially the ones living in the Middle East (Hi Lebanon 8))

An RQ was not necessarily issued because you were outside the country. Lots of applicants in Canada have been issued an RQ. It could be nothing but luck. You being outside could just make the CIC look deeply into your file. But if you have nothing to hide, then you're ok. Just explain your situation if you get a chance to do so and submit all the relevant documents and you should be fine. ;D good luck.

rampager said:
I've read a lot of threads mentioning that it's alright to leave the country after submitting an application, but the chances of receiving an RQ increase considerably if the applicant does so.

Well, I've already received an RQ so that is no longer an issue. I applied in December 2011, almost 2 years ago and received a letter for the RQ a year later (Dec 2012), and submitted the paperwork right away. I'm still waiting for the test date.

Now, some great opportunities for personal and professional growth have emerged outside of Canada (this isn't the only place in world, after all) and I'm going to take them. My questions, and concerns, are rather simple:

What are the obstacles to my citizenship if I leave Canada?
Can they deny me citizenship on the basis of me not residing in Canada? I've heard stories of this happening and want clarification that this is just hearsay. My PR card is valid until end of 2017, and since I haven't left Canada in the last 2 years, I'm good as a permanent resident until at least 2016, based on the rolling calculation.
What do I need to do to prevent any potential problems? This ranges from something simple as whether I need to keep a bank account open to whether I need own larger assets in Canada (such as a house) until I get my citizenship finalized.
Do I need a lawyer to file any paperwork?

I appreciate your insight as always.

Thank you.

corazon3

Star Member
May 27, 2010
EasyRider said:

Issues here:

LOL. Now you get the picture, right? Remember you once kept arguing there's no problem leaving Canada after filing a CIT app?

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hmmmm. Corazon3, you got your info wrong. I assume from your comment your saying that applicant can't leave after submitting their citizenship application. Very wrong. Everybody can actually. Life exists somewhere else for a lot of people. And if and only if you traveled and lived in many other countries you would understand. heck you live in the most diverse country, from your contacts you should know. I can't insist enough that his RQ might be complete luck. People on this site got no RQ, even-though they traveled outside the country numerous times and own their own businesses. It doesn't mean that if he got an RQ then he is doomed. don't judge.
corazon3 said:
LOL. Now you get the picture, right? Remember you once kept arguing there's no problem leaving Canada after filing a CIT app?

rampager

May 19, 2011
EasyRider said:

Issues here:

It seems rather difficult to figure out what the current environment at CIC is with regards to processing citizenship applications. About 8% of Canadians live abroad (less than the UK) and I'm not sure why people keep comparing Canadians abroad to the problems in Lebanon. Every country has a diaspora, some more than others. With this crackdown on fraud, I believe only 29 people have had their citizenship revoked, not really productive if you ask me. I know issues 1 & 2 could occur, but it still doesn't make sense as to why?

In the meantime, almost 350,000 individuals are waiting, for no perceptible reason, to become citizens, while Canada is teetering on the brink of another recession and these individuals, myself included are now being asked to make a great sacrifice: get by in life, some paycheck to paycheck in Canada, or move away to another country, but you will most likely lose your citizenship even though you fully qualify because it is a 'right' and apparently, these people aren't worthy enough, having abandoned Canada. A minor exaggeration perhaps, but I believe I got the gist.

Looks like I'm hiring a lawyer to best determine how to maintain permanent residency status in Canada while working in the US [to prevent issue 3].

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
corazon3 said:
I get the picture alright. My posts from about a year ago were about "standing your ground" with CIC addressed to discouraged people, not about there won't be any issues to handle.

One needs to maintain PR status, have a solid proof plus desire/time to reach the end.

Still there are no published Federal Court cases where someone was punished for anything other than own negligence. CIC would put such cases up there, that's for sure.

Though new info has surfaced since then-- e.g. possibility of permanent hold on cases of people residing abroad, policy of file closure after missing CIC event once without a good reason, punishing every deviation such as event rescheduling attempts with RQ, etc. This doesn't add encouragement.

There's opinion some of newer CIC policies wouldn't stand judicial review. Miss an event once without "good reason" and case is closed? Give me a break.

123sMike

Star Member
May 20, 2013
This is known as cic manipulation of rules...in the name of cutting the processing times..beggars cant be choosers..but they can be once they become citizens!!

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
As long as you can maintain your pr by residing in Canada 730 days within 5 year period and can come to Canada on a short notice you should be fine. You have to have someone to receive your mail and notify you of communication from CIC.