+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Language couse visa? permit?

raistlin

Feb 3, 2010
Hello,

I am planning to go language course for 8 months in BC. Do I need study permit? If yes, can I apply for the work permit too? What is the duration of visa or permit for 8 months course? 1 year or exact 8 months?

thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

raistlin said:
Hello,

I am planning to go language course for 8 months in BC. Do I need study permit? If yes, can I apply for the work permit too? What is the duration of visa or permit for 8 months course? 1 year or exact 8 months?

thanks
1. Any course over 6 months, you require a study permit. It would be probably for 9 months.
2. ESL students don't get work permits.

PMM

Feb 13, 2010
British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You say that ESL students don't get work permits. There is a section on this at the Canada Immigration site at cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/study/index.asp

Barbara

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

canadalanguagestudy said:
You say that ESL students don't get work permits. There is a section on this at the Canada Immigration site at cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/study/index.asp

Barbara
Except that you should read this section http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-offcampus-who.asp

You are not eligible to apply for an Off-Campus Work Permit if you are:

"attending a participating institution and registered in either an English as a Second Language or French as a Second Language program or"

PMM