+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing while pregnant - Healthcare / health insurance

JuOGG

Oct 23, 2020
Hello friends, I've been a silent reader of the forum for the past year, this is my first post . I'm a Brazilian FSW-O candidate, AOR Sep/2020. As of today all stages passed but no final decision yet.

My husband and I want to start a family and we have been waiting for our PPR but given the delays we're considering getting pregnant before landing. We're going to Vancouver and I'm aware that in BC you have to wait 3 months before having access to the public health care system. From what I researched, most recently arrived PRs obtain some sort of travel insurance for those months, however, all the travel insurance I could find only offer emergency care for pregnant woman, but no access to routine prenatal care (doctors appointments, ultrasounds, etc.). Are you aware of anyone that landed with a similar situation and how they handled it?

I thought another option would be to obtain not a travel insurance, but a private Canadian health insurance, but I'm not at all familiar with this industry and don't even know where to begin looking for a reliable one. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello friends, I've been a silent reader of the forum for the past year, this is my first post . I'm a Brazilian FSW-O candidate, AOR Sep/2020. As of today all stages passed but no final decision yet.

My husband and I want to start a family and we have been waiting for our PPR but given the delays we're considering getting pregnant before landing. We're going to Vancouver and I'm aware that in BC you have to wait 3 months before having access to the public health care system. From what I researched, most recently arrived PRs obtain some sort of travel insurance for those months, however, all the travel insurance I could find only offer emergency care for pregnant woman, but no access to routine prenatal care (doctors appointments, ultrasounds, etc.). Are you aware of anyone that landed with a similar situation and how they handled it?

I thought another option would be to obtain not a travel insurance, but a private Canadian health insurance, but I'm not at all familiar with this industry and don't even know where to begin looking for a reliable one. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help!
How are you going to Vancouver? There is apparently some policies that cover pregnancy but you must have purchased the policy before getting pregnant. If you arrive pregnant you will likely only have emergency coverage that usually only covers complications in the 1st and 2nd trimester. If you arrive pregnant before getting PR through FSWP you should expect to have to pay for care out of pocket. You would also not qualify for maternity payment because you never worked for 600 hours in Canada.