+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

landing & returning before receiving PRC

shylee

May 3, 2007
Greetings,

Back in October 2006, someone posted the following to this forum:
"Due to abuse by people in US (H-1holders), the CIC is now trying to make sure that when you come to Canada, you come with intentions of staying here....Thanks to everyone for abusing the system before me, the CIC sent out a Red letter stating I need to re-submit (or re-take) my pictures at a Toronto CIC office. The dimensions and quality of the picture taken by the lady at CIC took were exactly the same as the one I had submitted. I guess they just wanted to see that I was still in Canada. All they had to was to ask. :lol:
If you are lucky you will get a letter in mail, to pick up the PR Card in person from a local office. Must pick up in person, no exceptions."

I have also read that if you return to the United States after landing but before receiving your PRC it is necessary to apply for a special one-time re-entry approval from a Canadian consulate in order to cross back over into Canada. If all this is true, it sounds like the wisest course is to cross and just sit tight until the PRC comes in.

Does anyone have any updated information, or advice, on this?

Many thanks,
Shylee

Eduardo Picazo

Feb 19, 2005
Reynosa, Mexico
Hi shylee

It was just matter of time, since as you just said; a lot of people have been cheating with CIC so they had already noticed the “trick”.

I had read too many postings back and forward through this forum since the last couple of years and believe me there were a lot of them saying the intention to cross back to the US or to the country of origin before getting the PR Cards.

Well it seems like asking to CIC to send the PR cards to a family or friend’s address is not a good idea anymore if the intention is to leave Canada right quick after landing and before get the PR Cards

It is good to know about this “risk” so all of us who are up to do the landing very soon are aware of it. So, for those with the intention to cross back right quick it could be a good time to start thinking on plan “B”

Good luck everybody
Eduardo

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

willostj said:
Any comments PMM ??
Not really, it would appear that CBSA has decided that immigrants who are only using Canada as a backstop, in the case of US H visas who are hoping for a green card , that they aren't going to facilitate them in Canada.

PMM

willostj

Star Member
Dec 20, 2006
What about individuals who are on J-visas who are probably in the middle of their contracts and would have to wait until the end of the year? Would they be allowed to land, say December, and then go back to the US before settling in Canada, say the following Summer?

shylee

May 3, 2007
Thanks very much for the replies.

PMM's response makes me think that perhaps I should have clarified that my husband and I are American citizens, immigrating to Canada, not H visa holders. I don't know whether that would make any difference, however.

We are planning to land within the next 6 weeks and are trying to determine whether we need to - or whether it is advisable to - remain in Canada until we have our PRCs in hand. We would like to return before then to start packing, house-selling and so forth, since we hope to move our household in the fall. But these recent posts have given me pause. It sounds like it may no longer be possible, or advisable, to do that. Does anyone know otherwise?

Shylee

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

shylee said:
Thanks very much for the replies.

PMM's response makes me think that perhaps I should have clarified that my husband and I are American citizens, immigrating to Canada, not H visa holders. I don't know whether that would make any difference, however.

We are planning to land within the next 6 weeks and are trying to determine whether we need to - or whether it is advisable to - remain in Canada until we have our PRCs in hand. We would like to return before then to start packing, house-selling and so forth, since we hope to move our household in the fall. But these recent posts have given me pause. It sounds like it may no longer be possible, or advisable, to do that. Does anyone know otherwise?

Shylee
1. You have up to 180 days to give CIC a Canadian address for your PR card, after that you have to re-apply for the card (not Pr) and pick it up in person.
2. Without the PR card, you can cross the border, as long as it is not commercial transportation (thats the official line) with your passport and COPR in the passport.
3. What is worrying CBSA/CIC is those PRs who "land" have their PRCs sent to a friend/relative/whatever and immediately head home to resume their life. Then they attempt to return in the future to Canada, claiming that they have fulfilled their 2/5 years residency in Canada, I believe that it is CBSA/CIC intention to crack down on these people. I could be wrong, but who knows.