Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
20-nov-2015
Passport Req..
03-may-2016
LANDED..........
24-May-2016
Hey guys,

This forum is a great place where people help each other. So thought I could do something from my side. I am located in Toronto and I am here for the last 6 years and have good idea about the city, transit and other info. If anyone need any information or assistance, Let me know. Will try my best to help you guys..

Cheers.

InGodITrust

Star Member
Apr 10, 2016
nmeka said:
Hey guys,

This forum is a great place where people help each other. So thought I could do something from my side. I am located in Toronto and I am here for the last 6 years and have good idea about the city, transit and other info. If anyone need any information or assistance, Let me know. Will try my best to help you guys..

Cheers.
Hi nmeka,

Thanks for the nice gesture.

My PR application isn't finalized yet. However, if the outcome is positive (God willing), I am planning to land and settle in Toronto. Since you've been living there for 6 years, could you please let me know what you think of the city and how you feel about it? Also, would appreciate your insights about living costs and job prospects there (compared to other cities in Ontario).

Many thanks in advance.

nmeka

Jan 19, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
20-nov-2015
Passport Req..
03-may-2016
LANDED..........
24-May-2016
InGodITrust said:
Hi nmeka,

Thanks for the nice gesture.

My PR application isn't finalized yet. However, if the outcome is positive (God willing), I am planning to land and settle in Toronto. Since you've been living there for 6 years, could you please let me know what you think of the city and how you feel about it? Also, would appreciate your insights about living costs and job prospects there (compared to other cities in Ontario).

Many thanks in advance.
My pleasure. Hopefully you will get your PR soon.
Coming to the City, It is very lively and nice to live for sure. I definitely love this place.
Cost of living depends based on your marital status.
Job market is good but again depends on which stream you are working.
Hope this gives bit insight. If you need more information feel free to ask me in specific.
Good luck

Skyler White

Jun 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi nmeka

Really sweet of you to offer us help!...I have received my PPR and planning to land in Toronto by early Sept. Would be great if you can provide some basic info.

1) What is the best way to get a rented accommodation in Toronto? It will be only me and my husband so a small house will suffice.
2) What are the areas we may consider for staying in and around Toronto/Greater Toronto?
3) What would be the ideal way to land a decent job - Online portals, consultants or referrals? Both of us have a PG degree in management (HR and Marketing) with 6 years of foreign work experience.

Also, my husband specifically wants to know what is the approx. cost ratio of buying vs. renting the same house in Toronto!

It would be a real help if you can answer our questions....

Thanks a bunch!!

msf02

Apr 8, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We are in very early phases (EE profile not even created yet!) but considering Toronto as well! I have a background in IT, while my wife has a background in Healthcare consulting. When looking at the houses in Toronto suburbs, we were shocked to see prices in the 1M+ CAD range.. Is this normal, or are there other, more affordable options?

Thanks,

nmeka

Jan 19, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
20-nov-2015
Passport Req..
03-may-2016
LANDED..........
24-May-2016
Skyler White said:
Hi nmeka

Really sweet of you to offer us help!...I have received my PPR and planning to land in Toronto by early Sept. Would be great if you can provide some basic info.

1) What is the best way to get a rented accommodation in Toronto? It will be only me and my husband so a small house will suffice.
2) What are the areas we may consider for staying in and around Toronto/Greater Toronto?
3) What would be the ideal way to land a decent job - Online portals, consultants or referrals? Both of us have a PG degree in management (HR and Marketing) with 6 years of foreign work experience.

Also, my husband specifically wants to know what is the approx. cost ratio of buying vs. renting the same house in Toronto!

Thanks a bunch!!
Skyler White said:
Hi nmeka

1) What is the best way to get a rented accommodation in Toronto? It will be only me and my husband so a small house will suffice.- To rent a decent apartment for both of you atleast it will cost 1000$, I wont go with a basement which you can get for around 800$ because not a comfortable place in winter.
2) What are the areas we may consider for staying in and around Toronto/Greater Toronto?I would suggest staying in scarborough,north york where transportation is more convenient.
3) What would be the ideal way to land a decent job - Online portals, consultants or referrals? Both of us have a PG degree in management (HR and Marketing) with 6 years of foreign work experience.Job sites really help you in getting jobs,I got mine through job sites only without any reference, but if you have reference things will be much quick.

Also, my husband specifically wants to know what is the approx. cost ratio of buying vs. renting the same house in Toronto!Renting as i mentioned earlier average is 1200$, buying a house needs atleast 10% as down payment , mortage will cost around 400$ for every 100000$ you borrow. and property taxes ,utilities,hydro on top of that(approx 300$ per month)

Thanks a bunch!!
Hope this helps .let me know if you need any other information.
good luck.

nmeka

Jan 19, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
20-nov-2015
Passport Req..
03-may-2016
LANDED..........
24-May-2016
msf02 said:
We are in very early phases (EE profile not even created yet!) but considering Toronto as well! I have a background in IT, while my wife has a background in Healthcare consulting. When looking at the houses in Toronto suburbs, we were shocked to see prices in the 1M+ CAD range.. Is this normal, or are there other, more affordable options?

Thanks,
Hello, Jobs in IT are good in Toronto. My self software testing engineering. Coming to any jobs related to healthcare ,Canada might need you to take an exam before you can work. Yes houses are very expensive in Toronto.

msf02

Apr 8, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nmeka said:
Hello, Jobs in IT are good in Toronto. My self software testing engineering. Coming to any jobs related to healthcare ,Canada might need you to take an exam before you can work. Yes houses are very expensive in Toronto.
Thanks - well, luckily my wife, even though she is a doctor, she is not practicing medicine.. She does healthcare consulting for a Big Four consulting company, which, as far as I can tell, does not need any additional examination to do in Canada. As for myself, I'm an IT Manager, but I also do a lot of work in Broadcast IT (systems, storage, workflows, etc.) I'm hoping we can settle down in Toronto as it seems to be a nice place, and much more attractive than Montreal (our alternative.) In any event, we expect to have our Express Entry profile up within a couple of weeks (currently awaiting our ECA results.) Will be in touch if we have more questions.

Thanks again, and have a nice day!

ImmiToCanada

Mar 2, 2014
Vancouver
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
11-03-2016
Hey nmeka,

Thanks so much for your kind help.

I'm currently in Vancouver finishing my last year PhD (at UBC) in Statistics. I plan to get a job in Toronto once I get my PR application approved and graduate. I heard some friends said that Toronto has a lot of snows in winter. As a new driver, I'm very concerned that a low-ground-clearance sedan may cause problems in Toronto. Would you mind sharing your thoughts on whether I should buy a sedan or an SUV? Thanks a lot :)

audrey888

Aug 12, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nmeka said:
Hey guys,

Cheers.

Thanks for creating this thread.
I wonder if you have driven from Toronto to Calgary and v.v. without entering the US? I'm OINP nominee and currently in AB since 2010 and will move to ON in 2 months.

nmeka

Jan 19, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
20-nov-2015
Passport Req..
03-may-2016
LANDED..........
24-May-2016
ImmiToCanada said:
Hey nmeka,

Thanks so much for your kind help.

I'm currently in Vancouver finishing my last year PhD (at UBC) in Statistics. I plan to get a job in Toronto once I get my PR application approved and graduate. I heard some friends said that Toronto has a lot of snows in winter. As a new driver, I'm very concerned that a low-ground-clearance sedan may cause problems in Toronto. Would you mind sharing your thoughts on whether I should buy a sedan or an SUV? Thanks a lot :)
Winter yes it is harsh in Toronto, especially when you are moving from Vancouver. Coming to your vehicle again it depends, I drove my sedan in winters and many people do.I drive a bigger SUV now,Definitely more comfortable. If you wanted to upgrade your vehicle to a SUV that's fine, better control, more comfort and safety.

nmeka

Jan 19, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
20-nov-2015
Passport Req..
03-may-2016
LANDED..........
24-May-2016
audrey888 said:
Thanks for creating this thread.
I wonder if you have driven from Toronto to Calgary and v.v. without entering the US? I'm OINP nominee and currently in AB since 2010 and will move to ON in 2 months.
I didnt do that personally , but yes you can drive to Toronto without entering into USA. Pretty long drive though, Not recommended in winters at all. Not recommended to travel alone as well. One more thing not recommended to travel in a old car as well.

nmeka

Jan 19, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
20-nov-2015
Passport Req..
03-may-2016
LANDED..........
24-May-2016
msf02 said:
Thanks - well, luckily my wife, even though she is a doctor, she is not practicing medicine.. She does healthcare consulting for a Big Four consulting company, which, as far as I can tell, does not need any additional examination to do in Canada. As for myself, I'm an IT Manager, but I also do a lot of work in Broadcast IT (systems, storage, workflows, etc.) I'm hoping we can settle down in Toronto as it seems to be a nice place, and much more attractive than Montreal (our alternative.) In any event, we expect to have our Express Entry profile up within a couple of weeks (currently awaiting our ECA results.) Will be in touch if we have more questions.

Thanks again, and have a nice day!
In that case your wife should be fine. Good luck with your EE application.

DigitalDestiny

Nov 26, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey @nmeka, thanks a lot for the valuable info that you are providing.

1) Just curious, how do people manage in minus temperatures ?. I mean do the companies allow work from home kind facilities in winters ?. Does hiring slows down in winters ?.

2) For new immigrants, I heard it's almost impossible to rent a condo or an apartment since they don't have any Canadian reference. How to go about renting then ?

Thanks in advance and God Bless You ...

nmeka

Jan 19, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
20-nov-2015
Passport Req..
03-may-2016
LANDED..........
24-May-2016
DigitalDestiny said:
Hey @nmeka, thanks a lot for the valuable info that you are providing.

1) Just curious, how do people manage in minus temperatures ?. I mean do the companies allow work from home kind facilities in winters ?. Does hiring slows down in winters ?. Dressing up properly for t he weather is the key for keeping you warm, again even with all that cant really stay outdoors for longer time. work from home is not available for everyone and if you are from IT background you can get it but not for the whole winter, depends on the project you work. For hiring winters are no good time, its not because of cold but because of the year end holidays and financial year coming to end.

2) For new immigrants, I heard it's almost impossible to rent a condo or an apartment since they don't have any Canadian reference. How to go about renting then ?Its not impossible. There are ways.

Thanks in advance and God Bless You ...
Hope this helps.