+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing in Canada for Family Members

treasure73us

Mar 15, 2011
Hi
Need some advice on following

Currently I am out of Canada

1) We ( myself + my accompanying family members ) already have IM-1 visa issued on our passports for all of us along with "Confirmation of Permanent Residency" documents ( Landing Papers)

2) I am the principal applicant ,,,, My "Confirmation of Permanent Residency" document ( Landing Paper ) mentions my family members names as accompanying family members

3) My Family member's "Confirmation of Permanent Residency" ( Landing Papers)document mentions only my name as their accompanying member

However I will be landing in Canada alone in Feb'11 and my family members will travel in May'11 to join me in Canada ( I will not be accompanying them on their arrival at port of entry in Canada )

Query :

While I am already landed in Canada ,

Can they land in Canada without me,, even though their "Confirmation of Permanent Residency" document ( Landing Papers )mentions my name as their accompanying family member.

Please help with advice

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi treasure,

As you are the principal applicant you can land without your family members.

Your 'accompanying' family members can land alone after your landing but before the expiry of the visa or their passport which ever is early.

Being you are the PA, your COPR lists all the accompanying members.

The COPR of others will have to show only the name of PA.

There is no problem at all.

If you are not confident, please leave a photocopy of your COPR with them.

treasure73us

Mar 15, 2011
Thanks for the reply

There is another issue ,

one of my family members passport is expiring exactly after 1 month after his entry into Canada (PR Visa and Passport have more or less same date of expiry )

Is there any restriction on Passport validity while entering in Canada ( assuming that Visa is Valid on the date of entry ) , As per my understand the passport has to be valid on the day of entry ,,(it does not matter even if it is valid for a day )

Please let me know some informaton on this

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

treasure73us said:
Thanks for the reply

There is another issue ,

one of my family members passport is expiring exactly after 1 month after his entry into Canada (PR Visa and Passport have more or less same date of expiry )

Is there any restriction on Passport validity while entering in Canada ( assuming that Visa is Valid on the date of entry ) , As per my understand the passport has to be valid on the day of entry ,,(it does not matter even if it is valid for a day )

Valid on the day of "landing"

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
treasure73us said:
Thanks for the reply

There is another issue ,

As stated, your family member's passport validity is more than enough. Ensure he/should land before the expiry. The passport can be renewed at your country's embassy or consulate in Canada accordingly.