+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing and traveling back to Canada before receiving PR card

melimelomed

Apr 1, 2016
Hello,
My US husband has received his PR paperwork and he's planning on doing the landing when he comes to visit me for a week in Jan. He would then return to the US for 2 weeks before coming back to Canada for a month (and then going to the US again for a week). Will he be able to re-enter Canada if he hasn't received his PR card yet? Once you have received a PR status (but not the card yet), can one re-enter Canada as a visitor?
Thanks!
M

barch88

Dec 19, 2016
Penticton, BC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-01-2017
AOR Received.
19-01-2017
File Transfer...
26-01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
17-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-03-2017
LANDED..........
27-03-2017
melimelomed said:
Hello,
My US husband has received his PR paperwork and he's planning on doing the landing when he comes to visit me for a week in Jan. He would then return to the US for 2 weeks before coming back to Canada for a month (and then going to the US again for a week). Will he be able to re-enter Canada if he hasn't received his PR card yet? Once you have received a PR status (but not the card yet), can one re-enter Canada as a visitor?
Thanks!
M
Why don't he just come as a visitor and not do his landing until it's all finalized and he's ready to move there?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
melimelomed said:
There is a difference between entering Canada and travelling to Canada.

To enter Canada, he will present himself to CBSA as a PR, not a visitor. There is no issue entering without a PR card.

To travel to Canada, if coming by commercial carrier, he should not mention anything to the carrier about being a PR; they may refuse to board him without a PR card or PRTD.

melimelomed

Apr 1, 2016
He needs to travel between Canada and USA on a monthly basis due to ongoing obligations there... So waiting is not really an option unless he really doesn't have a choice...

jhutti

Aug 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
melimelomed said:
He needs to travel between Canada and USA on a monthly basis due to ongoing obligations there... So waiting is not really an option unless he really doesn't have a choice...
Till not getting PR card. Best option is to air travel near border. Example buffalo .Then travel in rental car to canada example if destination is toronto. He will need landing papers all the tine(COPR) when crission border in car. He should tell border gaurd that he lives in canada now. Returning back from office work

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
melimelomed said:
Please actually read my post. He doesn't need to wait for a PR card.

bickyii

Nov 1, 2011
Toronto, ON
You can enter Canada with a landing paper by road on your personal vehicle only (just tell them you are still waiting for PR card). You are not allowed to travel on a commercial vehicle. Did that many times.

neorol

Jul 31, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2016
AOR Received.
26-10-2016 (1st AOR) / 01-12-2016 (BOWP - 2nd AOR)
Med's Done....
09-11-2016 (Passed)
Passport Req..
02-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
15-02-2017
LANDED..........
22-04-2017
I think since he is a US citizen he just needs his passport to visit Canada even with a flight. If he doesn't tell at boarding he is a PR waiting for his PR card, there shouldn't be any issue.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
bickyii said:
You can enter Canada with a landing paper by road on your personal vehicle only (just tell them you are still waiting for PR card). You are not allowed to travel on a commercial vehicle. Did that many times.
OP's spouse is American and therefore exempt from the eTA and still able to use the visa-exempt passport loophole to board a plane without a PR card.