landed but waiting for PR. Query-travelling without PR card back into Canada

elliebiz

Jan 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi there, Landed and received PR on January 16th two weeks ago. the thing is I want to travel to see my son around Easter or before and its very unlikely that I will receive my PR card by then. Looks like I might need to apply for a travel document in London and assume have to get that when arrive there?. Do they issue it straight away as may only be visiting UK for couple of weeks?
The other thing is could I fly to the USA and then get a ride from family in Canada to cross over the border to Canada or could I rent a car from USA and then drop it off in Canada. Or finally just walk across the border lol.? as would be" non commercial/ not for public use". any suggestions? thanks.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
You're visa-exempt (I assume from your flag avatar) so you can enter Canada by air with just your passport. Use the signed COPR as proof.

elliebiz

Jan 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes visa exempt, only I read different things about re- entering canada. like on CIC site. but hoping you are right :)

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
elliebiz said:
Yes visa exempt, only I read different things about re- entering canada. like on CIC site. but hoping you are right :)
The problems arise due to the carrier not allowing anyone on a flight if they don't have a visa or PR card. But since you are visa-exempt that's not an issue. You can use the COPR as proof for CBSA.

elliebiz

Jan 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok thanks so much for clarifying that :) Assume i wouldn't need to apply for eTA starting middle of march either as it says not for permanent residents, although I probably won't have my PR card then.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
elliebiz said:
Ok thanks so much for clarifying that :) Assume i wouldn't need to apply for eTA starting middle of march either as it says not for permanent residents, although I probably won't have my PR card then.
Well that's a bit confusing actually since you are a "visitor" according to the airline. Perhaps find out if the airline requires the ETA, or just CBSA (because to the CBSA your are a PR and don't need one).

After some more research it seems you need it after March 15. Well that is kind of lame, since you can't get one after you land as a PR. But if you already had one, you'd be OK to fly? That's ridiculous. They have 100 day processing times for a PR card but don't let you get an ETA so you can fly anywhere. UG CIC.

From the Air Canada site: Effective March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals must obtain an eTA before they can board a flight to Canada. To complete your application for an eTA, you will need your passport, a credit card and an email address. An eTA costs $7 CAD and is valid for up to five years.

Sorry I wasn't thinking Easter was after March 15.

I suppose you can just try applying for the ETA, worst case scenario they deny it.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
elliebiz said:
hi there, Landed and received PR on January 16th two weeks ago. the thing is I want to travel to see my son around Easter or before and its very unlikely that I will receive my PR card by then. Looks like I might need to apply for a travel document in London and assume have to get that when arrive there?. Do they issue it straight away as may only be visiting UK for couple of weeks?
The other thing is could I fly to the USA
Hi

As you say you are going for Easter, that would mean you are returning to Canada after March 15th, so you will either need the PRTD or to fly to the US and cross the border. I saw in another thread that it takes 5 days for a PRTD in the UK. PRs cannot apply for an eTA.

Aquakitty said:
You're visa-exempt (I assume from your flag avatar) so you can enter Canada by air with just your passport. Use the signed COPR as proof.
After March 15th, no visa-exempt PR will be able to board a commercial carrier to Canada without a PR card or PRTD.

sunshinemrc

Dec 16, 2013
Aquakitty said:
Well that's a bit confusing actually since you are a "visitor" according to the airline. Perhaps find out if the airline requires the ETA, or just CBSA (because to the CBSA your are a PR and don't need one).

After some more research it seems you need it after March 15. Well that is kind of lame, since you can't get one after you land as a PR. But if you already had one, you'd be OK to fly? That's ridiculous. They have 100 day processing times for a PR card but don't let you get an ETA so you can fly anywhere. UG CIC.

From the Air Canada site: Effective March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals must obtain an eTA before they can board a flight to Canada. To complete your application for an eTA, you will need your passport, a credit card and an email address. An eTA costs $7 CAD and is valid for up to five years.

Sorry I wasn't thinking Easter was after March 15.

I suppose you can just try applying for the ETA, worst case scenario they deny it.
ETA will be denied as the OP is a PR. Your only options are to either apply for a travel document of you don't have your PR card before you travel or travel by air to US and cross land border in a private car with your passport and CoPR.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
sunshinemrc said:
ETA will be denied as the OP is a PR. Your only options are to either apply for a travel document of you don't have your PR card before you travel or travel by air to US and cross land border in a private car with your passport and CoPR.
Yes I saw that on the site if you read my post. It's pretty silly that if you apply for an ETA before you land, you can board a flight. And they have 100 days wait for the card.

elliebiz

Jan 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oh wow never simple then lol. I will either try and get a travel document or cross the border in private vehicle from the USA but may be more costly. will give it some thought thanks everyone.