+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

lack of "one point" should I apply?

dyekek12

Nov 1, 2007
I'm planning to apply with 66 points (Federal Skilled Worker)
I'm applying at Buffalo(US)office. That's the problem. Seems like Buffalo is the only office that requires full documents at the time of applying.

Maybe only way to get another point is studying French or work one more year. But I really need to apply quickly as possible.
How do you think? Would it be good if I take an interview and explain my situation? Am I going to be rejected without any urging report or sth?

thanks

Yojimbo

Star Member
Oct 31, 2007
When I was in university, in Canada, an immigration officer came to speak about the process. He said, "if you want your application to go through smoothly you need to fulfill the requirements. You need the money and the points." But he said that is not the case for those who don't have the requirements to be rejected automatically... those are reviewed more carefully, blah, blah... except for the money; no money, no honey, and no visa.

You'd be better of working, studying French, or doing something to get the points. It might even be faster and less troublesome than to be put in the "doesn't have enough points" file.

And think about "need to apply as quickly as possible" vs. "need to get the visa as quickly as possible."

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Even if you are short of points, the immigration officer could rule in your favour if he/she thinks there are factors that outweigh points. So .. if you can risk losing the application fee, I'd say go ahead and apply. And at the same time .. study French.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

thaiguy said:
Even if you are short of points, the immigration officer could rule in your favour if he/she thinks there are factors that outweigh points. So .. if you can risk losing the application fee, I'd say go ahead and apply. And at the same time .. study French.
But if the OP is refused quite likely, positive discretion is not used that often, then s/he has wasted 2 years, just to start again. Get the additional points before applying.

PMM