+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Koseki Tohon and Kaiseigen Koseki Tohon expiry (Outland Spousal Sponsorship)

Cyrus952

Jun 21, 2015
Hello everyone,

I tried searching for the answer to this question but I don't believe I have found much of an answer to it. Please forgive me if I've overlooked a thread.

I am a Canadian citizen living in Japan who is sponsoring my Japanese wife for PR under the Outland Family Class Spousal Sponsorship. I have a question about period of validity for IDENTITY AND CIVIL STATUS DOCUMENTS--specifically the "Koseki Tohon" and "Kaiseigen Koseki Tohon." My wife must provide both documents and certified translations of each.

I received the Koseki Tohon on March 24 2015 and I received the Kaiseigen Koseki Tohon on March 3 2015. Both were translated by a certified translator on March 30 2015. I'm planning on mailing my application to the Case Processing Centre in Mississauga (CPC-M) as soon as possible in the next few days.

In form IMM3913e (Japan-specific instructions), under the IDENTITY AND CIVIL STATUS DOCUMENTS section it does not mention any period of validity or expiry for either the Koseki Tohon or the Kaiseigen Koseki Tohon. But I have read online that they expire after three months. Is this true? Here is a link to the thread where I read about the 3-month expiry:
www canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/koseki-tohon-and-police-report-for-japanese-spouce-t251566.0.html

I've already read on some Japanese forums and people have said that the expiry is written on the actual Koseki Tohon itself somewhere. But mine doesn't have anything written on it that says it expires. The people on these forums say that CIC determines if the Koseki Tohon (and Kaiseigen Koseki Tohon) are expired or not.
bbs jpcanada.com/log/5/8582.html
bbs jpcanada.com/log/5/7989.html

Could someone please give me a definitive answer with proof (links from immigration, etc.)? If the 3-month expiry is real, then I'll need to get the forms again and have them translated again. I want to avoid spending the time and money needed for that.

Thank you in advance for your help and advice!

Kanada_San

Nov 28, 2014
If i recall correctly, those two documents expire 6 months after their date of issue, and must be submitted to cic before that date. the police certificate lasts 3 months i believe. i haven't read anywhere about people being asked to resubmit expired tohons, but some people just played it safe and waited til they were asked to submit them to submit them.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

If CIC doesn't state that they must be received within a certain timeframe and the documents themselves do not state an expiry, then don't worry about it.

OntarioBound

Nov 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-12-2014
AOR Received.
7-3-2015 (SA-13-3-2015)
Med's Done....
05-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM on 4-6-2015 or earlier
LANDED..........
8-7-2015
Hi, I may be the one who made you get all confused (in the thread you mention.)

I am a December 2014 applicant. I got my DM a couple of weeks ago and I am waiting for my COPR letter.

I used my koseki tohon issued June 2013 (a year and a half old by the time we submitted our application.). (I got it translated as per CIC instructions. The translated date was recent though... November of 2014...) Like cunuk_in_UK said, I don't see anywhere that the tohon would have an expiration date, and at the end, I figured that my birthday would stay the same regardless of the hoton's issue date. it still showed I was married to my ex in it (I didn't bother taking it out since I had no intention to live in Japan again), so I sent CIC a copy of my divorce decree along with it to show that I am officially divorced although the tohon showed I was still married to my ex.... Anyway LOL.

I am not familiar with Kaiseigen koseki tohon. All I sent to CIC was koseki tohon, not even koseki shohon (which shows all the family members instead of just myself..)

There is a 3-month expiration for the police report (in the CIC's eyes), however, and if you are in Japan getting the report, I believe you can get it within 2 weeks, but I had a hard time getting mine in time since I was living in CA at the time, and it takes over 2 months to get the report sent to the Japanese consulate, although the report itself is issued and date stamped 2 month prior.

I think I got confused with the 3 month expiration on the police report and tohon. The police report is the only one stated that it's good for 3 months. Not tohon.

Cyrus952

Jun 21, 2015
I didn't receive an email alert from this site so I assumed no one replied to my post. But thank you for the quick replies, everyone!

I hadn't read your replies so I had went ahead and got another koseki tohon from the ward office. Then I had the certified translation reissued. It wasn't nearly as time-consuming and expensive as I had thought. The Kaseigen Koseki Tohon would've taken way too long to re-order so I just took my chances on that one.

About the police report, I've been reading on forums and on the CIC website that it's now a 6-month expiry. I hope that it's 6-months instead of three because the one I sent was from late January.

www cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/intro.asp
www canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/pcc-now-valid-for-6-months-t282072.0.html

Can anyone else chime in and confirm the information in the above links?