+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Just met with my MP today

Japhro

Apr 16, 2016
Hello, new forum user here.

I sponsored my common law partner in late 2012 for her PR and she was approved in Feb 2015, received her PR card in the mail in early April 2015. Long wait for everything as you all are aware.
We were looking forward to having a 'relatively' short wait until she could apply for her Citizenship, since each day since the PR application acceptance counted as a 1/2 day, or did until C-24 came along. Now everyone starts over waiting again, which is particularly nasty since instead of the PR wait time of 1 year (on the website as the approx wait time when we applied) it took about 28 months. As of this post, we would be 26-28 months into a 36 month wait, now we are really 12-14 months into a 48 month wait. This is really frustrating.

I made an appointment with my MP, Ali Ehsassi, I emailed him a few weeks after the election, so mid November, and I just got an appointment to see him this morning, April 16 2016. 5 month wait.

Some good news, if he is to believed though, he claimed that they will roll back the 1460 days to 1095, and they are 'discussing' some credit system for time waited, though not going fully back to the previous system, some sort of compromise where time credited would be capped at 12 months (unclear on whether that was 1/2 days or full days). So, not a full reversal of C24 but it looks like some positive changes will come. Time frame? he said 4-5 months which given summer and Parliament means the fall realistically.

Hopefully they follow through on this !

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
FYI - prior to the new rules coming into place, she would have still had to have waited two years from the time she became a PR before qualifying for citizenship. Time lived in Canada prior to becoming a PR did of course count towards the citizenship - but only up to a one year credit (each full day counted as half a day towards citizenship).

If you want to discuss citizenship then I would recommend you move over to the Citizenship section of the forum where there are a number of very active threads on this topic already in progress.