Med's Done....
08 august 2010
Interview........
01 febuary 2011
VISA ISSUED...
01 febuary 2011
LANDED..........
08 febuary 2011
hi am new here but would like to know more, i got married to my fiance in nigeria, he came down to nigeria and we got married last month, we have been dating since a year and six months he is planning to sponsor me for my PR i have appied for visitor visa but refused twice.so please how can we go about this.thanks :( :( i miss him so much

rob_187

Apr 30, 2010
Hi, i'm not the most knowledgeable person, but i've been through the process, the reason that canada is so strict on tourist visa's is because they feel that the people won't return home after, theres unfortunately 40000 illegal immigrants here and they ruin it for everyone else. The next step is for you and your husband to apply to sponsor you with the outland application method. Both of you will need to fill out forms, and you'll need to follow the guidelines there such as get your police background check, medicals, passport, he has to get his forms together too, everything needs to be filled out in black pen, also, there is a form that will require both of your signatures. The cic website has lots of instructions on them that could help you. After you and your husband have gathered all the forms and are ready, he will need to pay the sponsorship fee of $1040 Canadian, and include the receipt into the package with all the other forms. You and your husband should also send lots of proof to show immigration that your relationship is genuine and true, from there it can take anywhere from 3-10 months depending. I hope this has helped, its a long process but worth it. Best of luck to you and I hope you and your husband are together soon.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
To add to the above: Nigerian applicants go through the Accra, Ghana, embassy, the second-slowest in the world (after Nairobi). It also has the highest rate of refusal for spousal sponsorships - over 40% get refused. So, make sure you have a lot of evidence that your relationship is genuine, much more than you think you'll need. Lots of people will tell you they got approved with only 10 photos or whatever - but a Nigerian won't. Look through the forum, using the search function, to see what kinds of things can be used to prove your relationship is genuine. It will take more than a year, so budget for visits - two visits to Nigeria to see you, or trips to other countries together will help your application. Phone cards are cheaper, but useless as evidence of contact, so make sure your fiance is calling you on a land line and has monthly bills with your number on them.

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
Congratulations!

I also got married in Nigeria last month, and have just returned to Canada.

You are in for a long road, and I am right there with you. I am putting our application together now, and hoping it will be ready to send out next week. As CanadianWoman says, Accra is one of the slowest offices, and you need to show a TON of proof to satisfy the officers that your marriage is genuine. Search for as much documentation as you can about the last year and a half of your relationship, receipts, emails, phone bills, postcards, pictures. Proof of you marriage, wedding receipts and pictures, letters from family and friends. Go to the CIC website and read over everything 3 or 4 times before you start filling out your forms.

Good luck!

Monalizy

Apr 24, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-5-2012
Doc's Request.
RFPR nov 28, 2012
AOR Received.
Sept 5, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 18. 2012 bcos I withdrew
Med's Done....
20-03-2012 2nd med April 29th 2013
Interview........
1st visa issuance Dec 19,2012
Passport Req..
2nd visa issuance June 5,2013
VISA ISSUED...
June 12,2013
LANDED..........
June 17,2013
Na wa ooo ;D

All this thing dey scare man ooo.
I intend goin to Nigeria to marry my fiance too
But the sponsoring process and the time it gonna take is making me go crazy.
Will it be more convincing to the VO in accra if one has a child ? at least they could run a DNA.
I dont av a phone bill cos i use card most of the time and i dont av pictures too expect for the wedding pictures
So can one use a child to convince them?

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Unfortunately, a child is not proof of a genuine relationship. I don't understand this at all, why phone records and post-cards would be more proof, but somehow that's the way it is.

Start documenting everything you can now, and start calling from a mobile or landline that has itemized phone bills.

I know the stories about Accra are scary. I have a 2 year relationship that is completely genuine. I have visited him 7 times when he lived in London, and once in Nigeria where we were married. We have phone and skype logs showing 3 hours a day communication for the past 2 years. We have nearly a hundred postcards and letters, we have daily emails, thousands of text messages, hundreds of photos together, letters from his family and my family, gifts (some expensive, like a lap-top and an iPad) with receipts, receipts from hotels we have stayed at, screen caps of him talking to my kids on skype, and talking to my friends. Screen caps of all the congratulations messages on Facebook, emails between his family and me, and my family and him....

yet still I am terrified we will be denied, or take 2 years waiting for an interview in Accra.

All I want to do is be with my husband and start a family with him. If I won $5 million in a lottery today I would happy give it up if I meant he could be in Canada immediately.

I have gathered a lot of great information on this forum, and I know we will be submitting a perfect application, but sometimes having so much knowledge (like what canadianwoman is going through) might be a bad thing. :(

richie4U

Star Member
Mar 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA GHANA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12 october 2010
File Transfer...
15 november 2010
Med's Done....
08 august 2010
Interview........
01 febuary 2011
VISA ISSUED...
01 febuary 2011
LANDED..........
08 febuary 2011
yes thanks guys. i dont know why the embassy make things dificult for married couples that want to be together anyway my husband will start the sponsorship process. we have collected the applications forms.we have all the proof of his visit and photos of us dating email. phones bills.hotets receipt and our wedding card. but he only visited me once in nigeria does that matter, his work shedule dont allow him visit often.

Monalizy

Apr 24, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-5-2012
Doc's Request.
RFPR nov 28, 2012
AOR Received.
Sept 5, 2012
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
June 12,2013
LANDED..........
June 17,2013
bobshynoswife said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Unfortunately, a child is not proof of a genuine relationship. I don't understand this at all, why phone records and post-cards would be more proof, but somehow that's the way it is.

Start documenting everything you can now, and start calling from a mobile or landline that has itemized phone bills.

I know the stories about Accra are scary. I have a 2 year relationship that is completely genuine. I have visited him 7 times when he lived in London, and once in Nigeria where we were married. We have phone and skype logs showing 3 hours a day communication for the past 2 years. We have nearly a hundred postcards and letters, we have daily emails, thousands of text messages, hundreds of photos together, letters from his family and my family, gifts (some expensive, like a lap-top and an iPad) with receipts, receipts from hotels we have stayed at, screen caps of him talking to my kids on skype, and talking to my friends. Screen caps of all the congratulations messages on Facebook, emails between his family and me, and my family and him....

yet still I am terrified we will be denied, or take 2 years waiting for an interview in Accra.

All I want to do is be with my husband and start a family with him. If I won $5 million in a lottery today I would happy give it up if I meant he could be in Canada immediately.

I have gathered a lot of great information on this forum, and I know we will be submitting a perfect application, but sometimes having so much knowledge (like what canadianwoman is going through) might be a bad thing. :(

If with all of the bolded you are still terrified then i have no hope.
The only thing i can get to prove he's my spouses is our wedding pictures,wedding certificate and few emails.
Now i know i have a lot of works to do.

Thanx.

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
^^^^^^^^^^^^

My point in writing to you is not to make you feel bad, but to say that even though I have what everyone says to be all the right evidence, I am still terrified. Accra scares me.

You just need to do as much as you can from now on. While a child is not proof of your relationship being genuine, it certainly would be evidence, although I wouldn't recommend having a baby just for that reason.

When you go to get married, take lots of pictures of not just the ceremony, but you and your wife together doing normal things. Do you send each other emails? Text messages? Have your relationship linked on Facebook?

You aren't married yet, so do as much as you can before hand. If you feel you don't have enough evidence, delay putting in your application for a few months after the wedding so you have time to send cards, emails, make documented phone calls etc.

prof456

Star Member
Nov 27, 2009
Monalizy said:
Na wa ooo ;D

All this thing dey scare man ooo.
I intend goin to Nigeria to marry my fiance too
But the sponsoring process and the time it gonna take is making me go crazy.
Will it be more convincing to the VO in accra if one has a child ? at least they could run a DNA.
I dont av a phone bill cos i use card most of the time and i dont av pictures too expect for the wedding pictures
So can one use a child to convince them?
You should not worry too much. I just glanced at a couple of your previous posts and it shows you just applied for your PR. My advice to you is to conclude your marriage preps now (if possible) and update your application (as married, including your spouse). It may cost you some time now but it's better in the long run, especially with the setbacks at the Accra office.

Monalizy

Apr 24, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-5-2012
Doc's Request.
RFPR nov 28, 2012
AOR Received.
Sept 5, 2012
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
June 12,2013
LANDED..........
June 17,2013
bobshynoswife said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^

My point in writing to you is not to make you feel bad, but to say that even though I have what everyone says to be all the right evidence, I am still terrified. Accra scares me.

You just need to do as much as you can from now on. While a child is not proof of your relationship being genuine, it certainly would be evidence, although I wouldn't recommend having a baby just for that reason.

When you go to get married, take lots of pictures of not just the ceremony, but you and your wife together doing normal things. Do you send each other emails? Text messages? Have your relationship linked on Facebook?

You aren't married yet, so do as much as you can before hand. If you feel you don't have enough evidence, delay putting in your application for a few months after the wedding so you have time to send cards, emails, make documented phone calls etc.
Thank you so much once again. I'm gonna start doing all you suggested.

Monalizy

Apr 24, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-5-2012
Doc's Request.
RFPR nov 28, 2012
AOR Received.
Sept 5, 2012
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
June 12,2013
LANDED..........
June 17,2013
prof456 said:
You should not worry too much. I just glanced at a couple of your previous posts and it shows you just applied for your PR. My advice to you is to conclude your marriage preps now (if possible) and update your application (as married, including your spouse). It may cost you some time now but it's better in the long run, especially with the setbacks at the Accra office.
Is it possible i update my application to married even though i'm nt married yet ? cos i cant be married until i get my PR and i'm able to go back to najia.If i include him in my application now,how long is it gonna take ? I didnt include him in my application becos i needed my OWP urgently,maybe once i have that i can include him but they are gonna as for prove of our relationship......the whole process is just givin me headache.

prof456

Star Member
Nov 27, 2009
Monalizy said:
Is it possible i update my application to married even though i'm nt married yet ? cos i cant be married until i get my PR and i'm able to go back to najia.If i include him in my application now,how long is it gonna take ? I didnt include him in my application becos i needed my OWP urgently,maybe once i have that i can include him but they are gonna as for prove of our relationship......the whole process is just givin me headache.
You have to be married to include him on your application. Your case is not complicated...so do not complicate it with "misrepresentations".

When you get your OWP, can you not fly down and get married? You need to show some proof that you are married, etc..

BTW, what province are you based?

Monalizy

Apr 24, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-5-2012
Doc's Request.
RFPR nov 28, 2012
AOR Received.
Sept 5, 2012
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
June 12,2013
LANDED..........
June 17,2013
prof456 said:
You have to be married to include him on your application. Your case is not complicated...so do not complicate it with "misrepresentations".

When you get your OWP, can you not fly down and get married? You need to show some proof that you are married, etc..

BTW, what province are you based?
If it possible for me to get OWP and fly down it will be luvly bt i'm nt sure one can. After the approval in principle,i think one has to wait to land first .Once i'm landed,then i should be able to leave canada.
I'm in Ontario-Toronto

prof456

Star Member
Nov 27, 2009
Monalizy said:
If it possible for me to get OWP and fly down it will be luvly bt i'm nt sure one can. After the approval in principle,i think one has to wait to land first .Once i'm landed,then i should be able to leave canada.
I'm in Ontario-Toronto
I did not quite get you.

I'm assuming you are applying for an OWP which is different from your PR application...that's 2 separate applications in process.

The point I was trying to make is when you get your OWP approved, you can apply for a TRV and go to Nigeria to get married (assuming you have a US Visa) and then update your PR application. I should have asked, under what category are you applying?