1 November 2016
Med's Done....
10 November 2016
Passport Req..
27-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
28-03-2018
Hey friends

I am going to graduate soon in Canada but i have seen so many graduates unemployed and some of them who manage to get a job , they are underemployed ( working at sores). I was here in this forum from long time and no one actually posted here to tell the lack of jobs for graduates which could have helped many (including me ) to take an informed decision. I just wanted that other people should know about this , so posted this message.

One more important thing i would like to say is that trade professions such as welders, miners are in good demand and also that Saskatchewan as lowest unemployment rate , so you can keep this factor in mind as well. It is amazing to see all accounting / office and good jobs are being outsourced to India and China , so indeed i am considering the option to come back to homeland India .

cheers

echelon99

Jun 5, 2012
Colombo, Sri-Lanka
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC-Colombo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-05-2013
IELTS Request
8.0 overall
File Transfer...
24-05-2013
Med's Request
28-06-2013
Med's Done....
01-07-2013
Passport Req..
19-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
24-07-2013
what course did you do? and from which uni?

I've been told things are hard, but are they really that bad?

shahzaman1984

Aug 13, 2012
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2013
File Transfer...
18-02-2013
Med's Request
26-02-2013
Med's Done....
05-03-2013
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
26-03-2013
LANDED..........
Soon
Hey ad singh

It's great to see someone bringing this issue up so that all interested can get a glimpse of reality.

I would appreciate if you further elaborate as to graduates of which disciplines/professions are finding it difficult to get employed? Or is this situation uniform across the board for all professions?

BR.

VMG

Dec 6, 2012
i guess it also one of the key issue which everyone wud be facing in the future..kindly put forth suggestions...:)

ad singh

May 23, 2011
Visa Office......
CHC CHD
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
31 March 2015
Nomination.....
15 March 2016
AOR Received.
18 April 2016
IELTS Request
8 BANDS
Med's Request
1 November 2016
Med's Done....
10 November 2016
Passport Req..
27-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
28-03-2018
Yeah the situation is quite common and people from most provinces are going to Saskatchewan for jobs after graduation. As Regards the jobs, there is huge demand for welders, plumbers , electricians and also some field of engineers . So if you are going to come for these courses, you are in huge demand and i suggest do come. But for others, it hurts to clean floors after spending huge on graduation. The market here is based on references and if you got no references or connections, its hard to get even a cleaning job. :-[ .. in a nutshell..most of the times ..the job is about whom you know and not what you know (knowledge).

echelon99

Jun 5, 2012
Colombo, Sri-Lanka
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC-Colombo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-05-2013
IELTS Request
8.0 overall
File Transfer...
24-05-2013
Med's Request
28-06-2013
Med's Done....
01-07-2013
Passport Req..
19-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
24-07-2013
I don't mean to rain on your parade dude, but spending 2 years studying in Thompson Rivers in the middle of nowhere, is not a good way to prep yourself for a job in Vancouver or Toronto. And its not like Kamloops has jobs coming in.

If you were serious about work, you should've tried for UBC, UofT, York, McGill, UWO etc. Even graduates from those unis have trouble finding work. If Rotman, Schulich graduates are looking for work, what hope does a Thompson Rivers graduate have?

over9000

Star Member
Mar 17, 2013
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What about those students who did their co-op internships for 2 semesters? Will they also have hard time finding jobs n stuff?

ad singh

May 23, 2011
Visa Office......
CHC CHD
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
31 March 2015
Nomination.....
15 March 2016
AOR Received.
18 April 2016
IELTS Request
8 BANDS
Med's Request
1 November 2016
Med's Done....
10 November 2016
Passport Req..
27-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
28-03-2018
I chose Thompson Rivers because i am doing CGA certification and i am in my final phase of getting the designation . Even if i went to MC gill or other big shot university , it would not have mattered since a professional designation is much more than getting graduate from any university. Echelon I really don't think that university carries a lot of weight in getting a decent job. You reaffirm that by saying that Big universities graduates are struggling for jobs as well.The universities focus on research , whereas the technical colleges like BCIT etc, focus n giving the students technical knowledge which is closely integrated with requirements at job. One of my friend who graduated from UBC struggled for a job and than, he knew technical skills are necessary and went to BCIT ( Burnaby) to get a diploma . On the other hand, people who got connections and references find decent jobs irrespective of what they did from where..

echelon99

Jun 5, 2012
Colombo, Sri-Lanka
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC-Colombo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-05-2013
IELTS Request
8.0 overall
File Transfer...
24-05-2013
Med's Request
28-06-2013
Med's Done....
01-07-2013
Passport Req..
19-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
24-07-2013
The only advantage of going to any university, is the alumni and other industrial connections the university has. These days, something like an MBA has very little of do with the education and everything to do with how much presence your chosen university has in your preferred industry and how well your are able to network with the university's alumni and contacts.

That's what I've been told anyway. My point is, a uni like TR is set up in a small town and probably doesn't have that much weight age with the accounting firms. Each posting probably has anywhere b/w 500-2000 resumes. HR has to find ways to thin the pile down by removing 100s of resumes. What do you think is the first think they look at? Do you think they'll entertain TR uni or Vancouver Island uni when McGill and Ivey resumes are present?

You have every right to complain, provided that you did thorough research before coming to the uni, not just their program website but research on the career center, job placement statistics and community connections. If you connected with students and faculty through linkedin or facebook, were misled, then yes, you should complain. As for your friend's case, well, every case is different. 'My friend' stories don't really mean much in this context. I can tell you a hundred success stories and a 100 failure ones. All I can do is quote McGill 3-month post graduation employment rate @ 97%. Its one of the highest in the world. If your friend was in the 3%...well...that's not just bad luck.

ad singh

May 23, 2011
Visa Office......
CHC CHD
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
31 March 2015
Nomination.....
15 March 2016
AOR Received.
18 April 2016
IELTS Request
8 BANDS
Med's Request
1 November 2016
Med's Done....
10 November 2016
Passport Req..
27-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
28-03-2018
Hey Echelon

I never disagreed with you completely, Yes MC gill is great university. And i am not complaining. Not everyone goes to MC gill and most of crowd , goes to community colleges, and other universities face difficulty. I am talking about majority not the very few who get into big Universities . And you need to tone it down a bit , have you been to Canada or had experiences here. Probably not. It is easier to research on computer and think you know it all. As regards me , since you are getting personal, i am a qualified Chartered accountant from India and got advanced standing in CGA and will finish my CGA here, and my resume got selected from here, yes from here at TRU , for KPMG , its just i cant work full time, so cant work full time. I am successful even more in India as many jobs are being outsourced and KPO industry is booming. But lots of students i see here and in vancouver , are facing unemployment.

echelon99

Jun 5, 2012
Colombo, Sri-Lanka
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC-Colombo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-05-2013
IELTS Request
8.0 overall
File Transfer...
24-05-2013
Med's Request
28-06-2013
Med's Done....
01-07-2013
Passport Req..
19-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
24-07-2013
If you have a full-time job offer from KPMG, why would you think this is a bad job scenario?

ad singh

May 23, 2011
Visa Office......
CHC CHD
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
31 March 2015
Nomination.....
15 March 2016
AOR Received.
18 April 2016
IELTS Request
8 BANDS
Med's Request
1 November 2016
Med's Done....
10 November 2016
Passport Req..
27-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
28-03-2018
I got the interview with KPMG, and told them i am on study permit and dont have the Full time work permit. So i will apply again with full time work permit. I am in different scene since i have 4 year experience and i am a Chartered accountant and MBA in finance. I dont want to debate here, since the whole purpose of forum is to help, i am just informing that connections and references play a key role in getting jobs. Moreover the saying here is no experience , no job and no job , no experience. Since you might feel i am saying just like that. please read this report.

As per CBC News

"According to Fong, this creates a “boomerang effect,” where university graduates, unable to find jobs in their field of study, retreat into another degree or a job that can support them but doesn’t put their training to use."

Read this link
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/03/19/f-canada-youth-unemployment.html

shebaby

Star Member
Nov 22, 2012
@Echelon,@ad singh,

Both of you have shared vital informations with those of us that are just coming to Canada.

From Echelon we have learnt its not a bed of roses getting a job without networking and connection and fron Ad singh we have also learnt that going to a well rated university or doing a skilled program in a college is of good advantage, that is why we are all here, learn what we do not know.

Lets not get personal of this forum Sirs.

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ad singh said:
Hey friends

I am going to graduate soon in Canada but i have seen so many graduates unemployed and some of them who manage to get a job , they are underemployed ( working at sores). I was here in this forum from long time and no one actually posted here to tell the lack of jobs for graduates which could have helped many (including me ) to take an informed decision. I just wanted that other people should know about this , so posted this message.

One more important thing i would like to say is that trade professions such as welders, miners are in good demand and also that Saskatchewan as lowest unemployment rate , so you can keep this factor in mind as well. It is amazing to see all accounting / office and good jobs are being outsourced to India and China , so indeed i am considering the option to come back to homeland India .

cheers
Not entirely true.

while its very hard for a new grad to get their foot in the door, its not impossible. The world out there is not all rosy as one might think and its a very tough lesson that one learns when you have to go through it.

1. who you know may help you get noticed but not necessarily help you get a job. In an employer's market (which is the current situation), the employer has the upper hand of picking the best candidate (most education, experience etc..) . in other words, the most bang for the buck type of employee is what they are looking for.

the employee will have an upper hand when the jobs are readily available and not enough applicants (like it was before the recession).

I have had got my resume noticed through "connections" a couple of times but it still was not enough to get a job because there was someone else with more experience and skills than me. connections may help you find a labor job paying minimum wage or if you are a very politically connected person, but in between; not so much.

2. Experience is what counts the most. and by that i mean canadian work experience. you could have decades of work experience in india, that still wont give you an upper hand on someone with a couple of years of canadian work experience. Thats the cold hard truth of it. so if you bring your work experience over from wherever you come from, you have to grasp the fact that it may not be worth $hit here.

3. Universities (ivy league) or not may or may not have an effect on you getting a job. If a sensible employer has to pick between a C-grade student from McGill vs an A-grade student from TRU, you know who would they go for.

What a university can offer you (and this is where a smaller vs a big university does make a difference) is the resources that it provides you for job hunting. Co-op programs are better at some than other and quite often new grads get offered jobs at the companies they did their co-op at. similarly, some universities have better resources for after-grad job hunting than others.

4. you have to adjust your expectations based on a lot of things. Graduating from an MBA program with no real world work experience (as is the norm in India) and feeling entitled to a managerial job and nothing less would do, this can get you in trouble and leave you jobless for a while. When canadian work experience is lacking on your resume, no related job is small.

For e.g. i graduated with a Comp Sci degree + co-op work experience but had a very hard time finding that first job. I applied for everything related to my education and was offered a tech support position at a small software firm. I know i was over-qualified for the job and i certainly did not need a degree to do it but that was step 1. after a year or so, i applied around and got a better job and biggest factor that got me the new job was the specific experience from the old one. So, its all relevant.

5. you also need to be open to move freely when building up that work experience and looking for that first job. I had attracted interest from government services in nova scotia but just couldnt move due to family reasons. But dont confine yourself to a particular province/ area.

6. do volunteer work to build up your resume. you can find tons of volunteer work in your area related to your education/ career goals. Believe it or not, this really stands out on your resume and gives you an extra edge.

7. work on your resume and cover letter. If a particular format you are using is not getting you any replies, switch it around and try another format/ style. cover letters are usually what get you noticed first. If you cant get their attention with your cover letter, they wont even look at your resume. I had 10-15 different styles of resume's and cover letters that i experimented with.

One of my professors gave me a brilliant idea to catch a recruiters attention. He said to create my own personal logo and stick it on my cover letter. or better yet, put my picture on the cover letter. I know its cheesy but if it makes you stand out from the rest of the applicants, you have the recruiters attention.

8. Be prepared for rejection; its part of job hunting. for every 100 resume's you send out, expect to hear back from 10-15% (this could be more or less based on the type of job and the field you apply in). I cant even remember how many jobs i applied for, anywhere from paid internship to contract jobs to full time to even part time. But i can count on my hand how many interview calls i got.

Job hunting sucks, its not easy, it will kick you in the balls again and again but you have to be stubborn yourself and keep going. If you give up now because its so hard to find that first job, you have another thing coming at you... LIFE.

Good Luck!