+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job Scenario fot IT professionals in Canada, esp.British Columbia

chigursr

Jun 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
Firstly this is entire forum is a great resource for all aspiring immigrants.U guys rock, keep up the good work.
Coming to my question, Im planning to go to Univ of British Columbia for my MSS or Univ of Ottawa for my M.Engg(Mgmt).
Im currently wrking with Cognizant (CTS) in India and by the time i go there i'll be having 2 yrs of exp.Please advice if its a right choice i.e whether will I be able to find a job with my profile (are the jobs available in the first place).Secondly with BC i'll be getting a 16 month PGWP and with Ottawa univ a 3 yr PGWP.In case i get a job after i notch up abt 6 mnths exp wht are the chances of my PR being approved.Please do advice.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
At the moment, both Ontario and BC have an immigration program for students with advanced degrees (Masters, PhDs), whereas BC does not. This is through the provincial nominees program - you should read the requirements of both programs, but understand that these are subject to change at any time - there is no guarantee that they will be the same by the time you graduate. Ontario's costs quite a bit more than BC's.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/provincial/apply-who.asp

As for the Canadian Experience Class, you would need one full year skilled employment experience after graduation. Either will work, you just have more of a cushion if you get a 3 year.

As for your chances of getting a job, that's up to you.

chigursr

Jun 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Jes, goin by your post it would seem that M.Eng( Mgmnt) which is a 2 yr prgrm whr i wud get a 3 yr work permit is better.Also i believe that Ontario has a Provincial Nominee program in place.i would surely consider it thanks.Can anyone also enlighten me on the process of applying for PR after getting a job and about the chances of getting an approval and timelines for the PR.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
chigursr said:
Thanks Jes, goin by your post it would seem that M.Eng( Mgmnt) which is a 2 yr prgrm whr i wud get a 3 yr work permit is better.Also i believe that Ontario has a Provincial Nominee program in place.i would surely consider it thanks.

Sorry about the previous post - I incompletely edited it, at this time BC does also have a pilot program for students in their PNP, but you have to go to each program's websites for the specific details.

Can anyone also enlighten me on the process of applying for PR after getting a job and about the chances of getting an approval and timelines for the PR.

You either meet the requirements, or you don't :) Go to the CIC website for program requirements.

CIC's posted timelines are on their website. These are historical data, however, and they frequently change, so it's not likely to be the same at the time you apply. For example, at the time I applied, the CIC website gave 6 months as the average processing time for CEC applicants; I'm now in month 14.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-ec.asp