+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job offer before Graduation

siddharth14

Jul 7, 2015
Hi guys so I just got a job offer and I am gonna graduate in august 2019. My study permit and SIN expires on Nov 2019. The offer is conditional on the fact that I present them with a document showing that I can legally work in Canada 8 weeks before I start. The job starts in October. Now I am in a dilemma because I don't have any work permit as of now. and probably wont be getting my PGWP by nov 30 since processing times are so high. what should I present them when they ask for my documents in August or July? Should I apply for an open work permit?

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
The only open work permit you'll be able to get is PGWP. Either talk to the company and ask for more time or find another job

Unless you have a spouse who can get you a spouse work permit.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hi guys so I just got a job offer and I am gonna graduate in august 2019. My study permit and SIN expires on Nov 2019. The offer is conditional on the fact that I present them with a document showing that I can legally work in Canada 8 weeks before I start. The job starts in October. Now I am in a dilemma because I don't have any work permit as of now. and probably wont be getting my PGWP by nov 30 since processing times are so high. what should I present them when they ask for my documents in August or July? Should I apply for an open work permit?
Apply for a PGWP as soon as you're eligible, and show the company that you applied. You will be in implied status and will be allowed to work.

If the company doesn't accept that, then I guess there's nothing you can do.

siddharth14

Jul 7, 2015
Apply for a PGWP as soon as you're eligible, and show the company that you applied. You will be in implied status and will be allowed to work.

Alright thanks man I guess that's what i'll have to tell the HR dept but I hope they know what the process is for international students! cheers.