+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Jewellery / To Follow; Accompanying / Evaluation by Jeweller Required ?

Canmah

Star Member
Nov 29, 2019
Regarding jewellery which PR / Work permit holder declare in Goods Accompanying and Goods to Follow list, I have few queries:

1) Do we need to provide weight of individual jewellery items?

2) I understand we need to provide Photos of all jewellery items, but does these photos have to be a full size A4 printouts OR small clear picture can be inserted in table containing all the other details of respective jewellery items?

3) Do we need to get the jewellery evaluated by a jeweller or self evaluation (on higher side) would suffice ?
If evaluation is needed by jeweller then is there anything like certified jeweller or any jeweller would be fine?

Hope to receive detailed advise from @legalfalcon @caipsnotes or any other experienced member.

Last edited:

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Regarding jewellery which PR / Work permit holder declare in Goods Accompanying and Goods to Follow list, I have few queries:

2) I understand we need to provide Photos of all jewellery items, but does these photos have to be a full size A4 printouts OR small clear picture can be inserted in table containing all the other details of respective jewellery items?

3) Do we need to get the jewellery evaluated by a jeweller or self evaluation (on higher side) would suffice ?
If evaluation is needed by jeweller then is there anything like certified jeweller or any jeweller would be fine?

Hope to receive detailed advise from @legalfalcon or any other experienced member.
The goods accompanying is for new PRs. CBSA will not charge duty on any goods that a new PR brings when he / she initially lands or provides a list of documents that will follow upon landing.

1. No, only a description is required, with which the item should be clearly be identified.

2. No photos are required and there is no such requirement. If you jewellery is only for personal use, and not exorbitant quantity, you can list them and describe the items so that they can be identified. As long as it can be identified, you do not need photos. If you have too many jewellery items, and differentiating the form one another will be difficult, you may need pics to accompany the description.

3. You only need a rough estimation of the value of the good you are bringing in. You do not need any certified document from a jeweller.

See https://bit.ly/2L3dLyZ

caipsnotes

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY

Hope to receive detailed advise from @legalfalcon @caipsnotes or any other experienced member.
Hi. Please see official posts from CBSA about this topic https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/mrc-drc-eng.html

Also, you can find in the forum first hand experience of people who have experienced similar situations
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/jewelry-goods-to-bring-or-follow.434740/

All the best

Canmah

Star Member
Nov 29, 2019
Thank you sir .... God bless you .... I hope you keep on helping/guiding the aspirants like me, chasing the Canadian dream!!

Reactions: caipsnotes

PankyDonalds

Aug 9, 2022
I had a similar question recently and did some research on getting jewelry valued for customs purposes. While there is no need to get an official evaluation by a jeweler, it can still be helpful to have an estimation of the value of the items you're declaring. If you're looking for a reputable pawn shop, you might want to consider New Bond Street Pawnbrokers. As for their certificates being accepted, it would be best to check with the customs office in advance to see what their specific requirements are. Good luck with the process!

sabensaid92

Nov 8, 2023
The goods accompanying is for new PRs. CBSA will not charge duty on any goods that a new PR brings when he / she initially lands or provides a list of documents that will follow upon landing.

1. No, only a description is required, with which the item should be clearly be identified.

2. No photos are required and there is no such requirement. If you jewellery is only for personal use, and not exorbitant quantity, you can list them and describe the items so that they can be identified. As long as it can be identified, you do not need photos. If you have too many jewellery items, and differentiating the form one another will be difficult, you may need pics to accompany the description.

3. You only need a rough estimation of the value of the good you are bringing in. You do not need any certified document from a jeweller.

See https://bit.ly/2L3dLyZ
Hello @legalfalcon
what's considered exorbitant quantity ? I know this may be very subjectif from an officer to another but is there any threshold on this?

Raptor33

May 10, 2020
Hello @legalfalcon
what's considered exorbitant quantity ? I know this may be very subjectif from an officer to another but is there any threshold on this?
Unfortunately, there is no specific, defined threshold for "exorbitant quantity" of jewellery according to the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) regulations. This means the determination is subjective and ultimately rests with the CBSA officer assessing your case.
Here are some key points to consider:
  • Purpose of the jewellery: If the jewellery is solely for personal use, you are less likely to be considered importing an excessive amount.
  • Value of the jewellery: Generally, the higher the combined value of the jewellery, the greater the chance of it being scrutinized for quantity.
  • Number of pieces: Owning a large number of pieces, even if individually inexpensive, could raise questions about personal use.
  • Frequency of import: Bringing in jewellery multiple times in a short period might trigger closer examination.
Tips to avoid potential issues:
  • Declare all jewellery accurately on your CBSA declaration form.
  • Provide clear and detailed descriptions of each piece, including material, type, and any distinguishing features.
  • If you have a jeweller's appraisal for valuable pieces, consider bringing them to present to the officer if requested.
  • Be prepared to answer questions about the purpose of your jewellery and how you intend to use it.
Remember:
  • While there's no specific threshold, transparency and cooperation with CBSA officials can go a long way in facilitating a smooth process.
  • If you have any doubts or concerns about the quantity of jewellery you are bringing in, it's always best to consult directly with the CBSA for personalized guidance. You can contact them through their website or by calling their Border Information Line: 1-800-461-9999.